Chimney section too short for wall... how about this idea?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Coalholio

Oct 31, 2018
Upstate NY
Greetings,

I have a bit of a situation. I have some Hart & Cooley Stainless 8 inch (ID) chimney pipe that I would like to use for an install. The unfortunate thing is the piece of pipe that I have for passing through the Thimble is only 9 inches long.

I have been trying to source and 18 inch piece but have had no luck so far.

So here is my idea...

What if the Triple wall pipe outlet is recessed in the wall but yet meets clearance requirements? Please see my attached drawing.

Hopefully my drawing makes sense. I would essentially have the 8 inch triple wall pipe extend 3 inches into the recessed but open ended ( on the inside wall of house) box. The box might be 24 inches square. I would then come out of the triple wall with 8 inch double wall black pipe and give it 8+ inches of clearance.

What do you think would this seems like a plausible solution to present to the inspector?

Best Regards,
Coalholio
BEA133F3-CD31-4A6F-8492-99608B71B5D7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The horizontal piece of chimney must protrude into the room a few inches past the wall thimble. No inspector would pass an install that doesn’t meet or exceed manufacturers guidelines, or at least they shouldn’t.

Reactions: begreen and bholler
The horizontal piece of chimney must protrude into the room a few inches past the wall thimble. No inspector would pass an install that doesn’t meet or exceed manufacturers guidelines, or at least they shouldn’t.

Thank you for the reply. I was hoping that it would be clear that my intention was not to ask or expect an inspector to do something they shouldn't do. Hence the reason why I asked the question about if "this seems like a plausible solution".

In my drawing the 8 inch triple wall chimney pipe extends 3 inches past the thimble. The thimble itself is basically 4 to 5 inches deep and 14 inches square. The entire thimble assembly is then surrounded by a secondary shield which is 24 inches square to allow sufficient room for required clearances.

My thinking was that, for example: If the wall was only 4 inches thick and 2 feet wide and the chimney pipe protruded from the thimble by 3 inches and then went to the double wall pipe the minimum required clearance would be 8 inches to the ceiling and 6 inches to the left, right and bottom of the pipe.

Best Regards,
Coalholio

I’m not sure what the plan is here? The horizontal chimney pipe needs to project into the room, past the thimble a few inches at least, before transitioning to double wall stove pipe. Each brand has different requirements.

Are you sure the chimney pipe is rated for wood stove use? Modern Hart and Cooley chimney is double-wall.