Chimney Size Too Small For 6" Insulated Flex Liner Help Me!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

blackattack3

Dec 10, 2016
Oliver Springs,Tennessee
I am running into a size dilemma. I have a US Stove Magnolia 2500 wood stove that requires a 6" stove pipe.
The log cabin we purchased ( built in 1994) has a field stone chimney that is lined with 8"x8" terracotta Clay. The inside diameter of the chimney is 6-3/4". The flex chimney liner is 6-1/2" outside diameter. If I use the insulation blanket that adds another 3/4" total. That pushes the size to 7" too large to fit. My questions are do I just use the liner with out insulation and take the chance of a poor draft, down size the liner size to 5.5" or just use the chimney without a liner?. I have not had the chimney inspected yet but it looks very clean inside. Previous owners had a antique Quality gas stove converted to propane hooked up.
Please any suggestion's would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Mike

Attachments

• MAX_0080.JPG
    MAX_0080.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 242
I am running into a size dilemma. I have a US Stove Magnolia 2500 wood stove that requires a 6" stove pipe.
The log cabin we purchased ( built in 1994) has a field stone chimney that is lined with 8"x8" terracotta Clay. The inside diameter of the chimney is 6-3/4". The flex chimney liner is 6-1/2" outside diameter. If I use the insulation blanket that adds another 3/4" total. That pushes the size to 7" too large to fit. My questions are do I just use the liner with out insulation and take the chance of a poor draft, down size the liner size to 5.5" or just use the chimney without a liner?. I have not had the chimney inspected yet but it looks very clean inside. Previous owners had a antique Quality gas stove converted to propane hooked up.
Please any suggestion's would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Mike
Remove the clay liners you will have plenty of room. Also you need to check the wall passthrough. Unless that is a full masonry wall chances are combustibles are to close.

Removing the clay liners would destroy the chimney I would think. The wall is solid masonry. Thanks
No it doesnt we remove them all the time. Is this in the basement? Or does that stone go all the way through the logs to outside?

Removing the clay liners would destroy the chimney I would think. The wall is solid masonry. Thanks
@bholler is a certified professional installer, perhaps more pics of the chimney is needed (including the clean out) inside pics from the bottom up with a cell phone and powerful flash light.

I would call the manufacturer and ask if they say a 5.5" liner will work with there stove and your chimney height. Some will approve it or not. I doubt you will get any response from us stove but you can try.

@bholler is a certified professional installer, perhaps more pics of the chimney is needed (including the clean out) inside pics from the bottom up with a cell phone and powerful flash light.
Actually i let my certification lapse. It costs allot and in our market it really isnt needed. I just wanted to be sure not to be misrepresented.

This is all on main story and goes through the wall without a cleanout
Yes but does the stone go through the wall or is it log on the outside in that area?

It goes through the wall. A wood frame surrounds the stone. The chimney base looks like cinder blocks with field stone mortared to it.
Thanks all!
Ok then the pass through should be good

What is a rough price at 20' chimney clay removal? I just priced a square 6"x6" liner complete at $1,139.77 free shipping.
Thanks for every one's input!!!
How do you plan on fitting a 6x6 liner in the chimney if you cant fit a 6" round in?

The few times we have removed clay without doing the liner we charged in the neighborhood of $300.

How do you plan on fitting a 6x6 liner in the chimney if you cant fit a 6" round in?

The few times we have removed clay without doing the liner we charged in the neighborhood of $300.
That price does not sound too bad but without a cleanout I don't know how they would get the broken clay up and out of the chimney.
For the sizing the square liner has an outside diam of 6", and no option of insulation.

That price does not sound too bad but without a cleanout I don't know how they would get the broken clay up and out of the chimney.
For the sizing the square liner has an outside diam of 6", and no option of insulation.
I would shovel it out the crock. You wouldnt take it up and out. Do you have the required 1" of clearance between the outside of the chimney and combustible materials? If not you need insulation.

A 6" liner without insulation will fit in my 8"x8" flue. Tight but will fit. I just did not know that if I could not use insulation wrap would that cause a poor draft performance.
It may cause poor draft. The biggest issue is the safety factor. Do you have that 1" of clearance between the outside of the masonry of the chimney and combustible materials?

And honestly if your clay is 6.75 inside the chances of getting even a bare liner down it are very slim. Even the slightest offset in the liner will keep the liner from going down.