Chimney size??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnhome

Oct 13, 2008
Summit CO
I'm pretty new here but hope I can get an idea of what to do.
I picked up a VC Encore Defiant 2140 in very good condition and found a great deal on enough new 8" class A chimney pipe, around 21 feet. I have been going through the stove and find it's in good shape, needs a new damper gasket and refractory access panel. The refractory package itself seems seems in very good condition. The combustor seems in good shape with minor wear. I've checked the ash door and front door gaskets with the dollar bill test and they seem ok. The griddle gasket has one "loose" spot with the dollar test and I plan to replace that gasket as well. My venting will be out the top of the stove for 2-3 feet, 90 degrees through a wall into an insulated Tee, and up an enclosed chase to the top, around 18-19 feet. Here's my question, if I decide to replace the stove down the road, will I need to replace the whole 8" insulated chimney pipe as well? I actually have a line on a Scan Anderson 10 and wonder if the 8" pipe will be too big for that stove.
Thanks for all input!

Most stoves will work ok with 8" pipe but will draft better with the 6". If you did have a problem you could always jam a 6" liner down the 8" class A.

For a VC Encore Defiant 2140 use the 8 inch.

I would always follow the manufacturers spec and equip the flue for today's use, not the future, which may change.

Status
Not open for further replies.