Chimney Sweep Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
So for those who do their own sweeping and the pros; do you always pull the baffles to sweep or do you leave the baffles in?

Reason I ask is pulling the cast baffles on the Jotul adds a lot of work and mess to the job. I could move the baffle plates and run the Soot Eater in probably a quarter of the time its takes to pull everything.

I could then try vacuuming out whatever lands up top but I always doubted that I could get all the nooks and crannies. Worth the extra effort to pull the baffles, do it every other time, what do you think? Incidentally when I had a pro coming they would not work inside the stove.

I have thought about this as well, with my jotul, it is quite an ordeal taking the baffle out. Are you using sooteater from the top? As of yet I haven found a way to do it without taking the baffle and tubes down.

I think by pushing the Skamol bricks up and to the side I could run the Soot eater up. Even taking the back two burn tubes out would be easier but the front tube and the baffles themselves are a pain. Takes some much fiddling and awkward.

So for those who do their own sweeping and the pros; do you always pull the baffles to sweep or do you leave the baffles in?

Reason I ask is pulling the cast baffles on the Jotul adds a lot of work and mess to the job. I could move the baffle plates and run the Soot Eater in probably a quarter of the time its takes to pull everything.

I could then try vacuuming out whatever lands up top but I always doubted that I could get all the nooks and crannies. Worth the extra effort to pull the baffles, do it every other time, what do you think? Incidentally when I had a pro coming they would not work inside the stove.
Then he’s not a pro... I will never understand how a “pro” could do a cleaning and not clean up the mess in the stove. No pro at all...

Then he’s not a pro... I will never understand how a “pro” could do a cleaning and not clean up the mess in the stove. No pro at all...
He would vacuum but that's it :rolleyes:.

If you can vacuum it out effectively sometimes it's better not to remove everything. You simply need to use a smaller hose that can reach all the nooks and crannies. And spend a little extra time and effort to ensure it's been done effectively. I use both a large and small hand held mirror and a high powered flashlight and headlamp. The appliance and the setup will dictate the choice in how to clean.

Reactions: jatoxico