1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Chimney sweeping from the bottom?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by saichele, Sep 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saichele

saichele Minister of Fire

I have an insert with a full story liner. I ws lamenting climbing up ont he roof to sweep the chimney, and a guy at work (who's right about half the time) said why not just sweep if from the bottom.

Never tried it, never heard of it, anyone done it? It's a cat stove burning good dry wood, so there shouldn't be too much crud, but it sounds a little flaky.

Thanks.
    Steve

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. scfa99

scfa99 New Member

Loc:
    New Jersey, USA
    actually this would be a good wiki. can people reply and tell the others how to properly clean/sweep a chimney? how to clean a stainless steel cap, what kind of filter to use for the shop vac, etc?
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Would be good wiki stuff- where are all the expert sweeps when you need them...

Yes, a lot of installations can be swept from the bottom. There are special shorter and flexible rods available which help do this.
  4. paulgp602

paulgp602 Member

I sweep mine from the bottom. I use a rutland 6" round brush and 15' of fiberglass flex. No need to go on the roof.
  5. Greg123

Greg123 New Member

Loc:
    WNY
    Same here.

Installed a Tee this year which makes it easy to clean.
  6. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    My neighbor has a clean out T and cleans her's from the bottom. For my insert, plus the needed offset adapter I couldn't make it happen with rods. I could have pulled the brush up or down with the rope approach though.

What occurred to me is that if all you have in the liner is fly ash as I did, really a chimney brush is as effective as what I think I could come up with on my own. I'd bet a peice of 1/4 inch cable put into a drill with a bunch of cloth, or something like weed wacker string tied to it. Zip ties all along it? shove it down the pipe and move it up and down. I'm sure would do a better job than even the brush did. Would get into the nooks and crannies of the pipe. (I've got a Simpson duravent liner)
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Or like Elk uses. A ball of chicken wire.

"Let's see. $2,000 for the stove. $1,200 for the liner. Heck, I ain't payin $13 for no brush at ACE hardware. Somebody tell me where I can get me some chicken wire and a hunka clothes line."
  8. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Darn, that's what it was. I couldn't remember what it was the Elk (or whoever it was) used. Maybe next year I'll "invent" something. Patent Pending :)
  9. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

30 years burning two stoves using chicken wire worked for me I use the same ball of chicken wire since day one. I drop down a decent rope with a 5 lb weight that acts as a big washer. If my wife is home we can do the push pull threw the chimney I can streech out the chicken wire ball to create more friction = better cleaning.
  10. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    But those are tile lined chimneys aren't they Elk? I think the wire would be better in clay but a brush better in a liner.
  11. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
  12. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

yes clay lined rectangllar 8/8
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.