Chimney "T" and draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex.O

Sep 13, 2016
Ferndale, WA
I pulled out my old prefab fireplace and going to install a free standing wood stove in front of where the prefab used to be.
The only way to run the chimney pipe is with a "T" setup. I called a few local shops and one guy told me that it's difficult to get a draft going with a T. The horizontal run through the wall will be about 18".

Does anyone with a T chimney have any issues with draft?

I have a rear vent stove running into a tee with a 10" snout. My setup drafts well with my particular stove.

Some stoves are more particular with draft and may not do as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the vertical flue is correctly sized, insulated and tall enough it should draft ok in cold weather. The horizontal section should be pitched upward at 1/4" per ft. toward the chimney. Depending on the stove there could be a bit of smoke spillage with the door open in milder weather. Shallow E/W loading stoves can be more sensitive in this regard.

What stove will be going in? I'm wondering why a stove can not be vented straight up in new chimney pipe that replaced the ZC chimney?

Last edited:
My stove has a stove pipe that goes up about 3 feet, out through the exterior wall and into a T connector and then goes up along the outside of the house . . . only time I see some problems is early Fall and late Spring when the outside and inside temps are close to each other (and I typically can fix this issue by opening the nearby window a crack, opening the side door to establish a draft, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.