Chimney through the closet..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dgarver

Hearth Supporter
Dec 18, 2010
North East OH
Hi all,

So we have FINALLY gotten things mostly in order to install our stove, but I have another question. We are running our double wall duravent 8" chimney up through the second floor of our house, and it is going through a closet. I saw through searching that someone recommend using round HVAC duct to "box in" the chimney instead of a costly framed in enclosure. I loved this idea, as long as it will pass inspection. Does anyone know if something like this will pass code, or where I could find the actual verbiage of the code to interpret it myself? So far, the best I can understand is that i need 2" clearance to combustibles, and something around the chimney to prevent combustibles from contacting it. BUT, i cannot find anything offering specifics, as in if it must be framed, or if the duct will work.

Thanks

Good luck on that one. It will probably take passing by a local inspector. But if you use a large 14" pipe it should work. However, there needs to be a firestop at the bottom, so don't forget to plan in that detail.

I'm surprised that framing will be that costly. What's this closet like?

pen

It's hard for me to imagine just how you would do this. Is the duct material you're thinking of using split with locking seams? Otherwise, how will you install it around your chimney? How will you secure this "shield duct" in place? How much closet space is it gonna buy you? Personally, I'd just plan on framing it in...but then, it ain't my closet we're talkin' about. Rick

BeGreen said:
Good luck on that one. It will probably take passing by a local inspector. But if you use a large 14" pipe it should work. However, there needs to be a firestop at the bottom, so don't forget to plan in that detail.

Well here is the layout...the pipe will go up through the corner of the closet, so I will only need an "L" shaped piece of duct to close in one side. Also, I can't find anything regarding a firestop, can you elaborate? I have the ceiling box for the first floor ceiling, and the pass through with attic insulation shield for the next level. If I were to frame it in instead, would I be able to just use wood studs and drywall? I hate the idea of closing it in like that though because I won't be able to access the chimney if need be. Does anyone know what code I would need to reference for this information? Would it just be in the building code?

Thanks

Well here is the layout...the pipe will go up through the corner of the closet, so I will only need an "L" shaped piece of duct to close in one side. Also, I can't find anything regarding a firestop, can you elaborate? I have the ceiling box for the first floor ceiling, and the pass through with attic insulation shield for the next level. If I were to frame it in instead, would I be able to just use wood studs and drywall? I hate the idea of closing it in like that though because I won't be able to access the chimney if need be. Does anyone know what code I would need to reference for this information? Would it just be in the building code?

Thanks

I don't believe it's necessary to finish the drywall, it's your house and your closet. If you want, frame it, put the dry wall up and leave the screws exposed if that makes you feel better.

Shouldn't cost more than 40 bucks to frame it.

pen

It's not structural, it's a closet. You could use 2x3 studs, 3/8" rock, 1/4 round or cove trim at the walls, and corner molding to cover the corner joint. No need to screw the rock in place or tape at all. Just paint it, set it in place and nail in the corner molding with a few small finishing nails to hold it in place. It will have an acceptable finished look when you are done. Need access in the future? Just pop off the corner molding and the sheetrock "panels" will come right out.

Less than $40 for sure, even with the molding.

Status
Not open for further replies.