chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hounddog

Hearth Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
minnesota
my chimney with the clay liner measuring 9x9 outside diameter, wont work with a new epa stove the has a 6" outlet will it? my liner is to big isnt it?

Some inserts will work with what you have, but you will get much better performance with a stainless steal liner; and all you have to do is slide it down your chimney. You might want to insulate the liner for even better performance.

If the clay liner is in tact you might be OK just doing a stubby install with a block off plate if your area allows it. Supposedly here in WI its not legal to do that type of install anymore. I have not actually seen the code but thats what my installers tell me (they have been around longer than me). What the ID of your flue? You might be able to get Simpson DuraLiner 6" round rigid down it, this stuff is SS inner wall with an insulation wrap around it and then an outer wall. Comes in 4 ft sections. Very easy to install with two people. We have used the oval version a few times and it works awesome.

if you go to chimneysweeponline.com they say for a 6 inch stove, and you do the math it comes out to 28.26 sq inches and the chimney flue they recommend are for masonry ,5x9,6x6,6x8,6x10,and mine is 9x9 od and probably 8x8 inside diameter, which is 64 sq in. and the largest they recommend is 6x10 = 60 sq in . is 4 sq inches gonna make that much of a difference......... ?

Hi, The inside diameter of an 8" x 8" clay liner is approx. 6 1/2" x 6 1/2". That is real close to what a ss liner is and would probably be okay if your chimney is on the inside of the home. But, I don't know what the code is in your area. I installed a rigid liner into my 8" x 12" clay liner and it was tight. This is a regular chimney, not a fireplace installation. If the flue has a little bend or the flue tiles are misaligned it's going to be a bit difficult. Hope this helps.

Jim

well like i said the , outside diameter is 9x9, im not sure what inside diameter is im guessing it is 8x8 or 7.5x7.5 , im not sure i have been up on roof to measure because it is mostly ice on roof at moment, so i gotta wait till it melts,,, i just dont want to get a new stove , hook it up and it dont work, im on a budget and dont want to redo chimney if i dont have to.. i emailed drolet stoves , and they said it should be just fine to use a reducer from my 8" flue down to 6" and they said chimney , should be ok.... my chimney is mostly in the garage that is unheated, but not as cold as the outside,,my stove is in basement , and has a 90 degree bend to the chimney and the 90 in the chimney straight up.

H, I ran my stove into the existing 8 x 12 clay liner for about a month and the draft was lazy. I would have leave the side door cracked to get the fire going. After I installed the rigid liner, the draft is greatly improved, the stove seems to operate better, no more babysitting and am up to code on my installation. Well worth the money and extra work.

Jim

My outside chimney is 2 feet square, brick, with an 8x8 clay liner.....7x7 inside diameter, and I'm burnin' a Jotul Oslo, and it ain't perfect but it's working pretty dang good so far :)

i read that it can be up to 3 time s the area of the stove flue, so a 6 inch flue , you could have up to 84.78 sq inches,,,, is this correct..?

Status
Not open for further replies.