chipboard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leoibb

Dec 29, 2010
uk
just wanderin regarding burning chipboard, after some readin on the bad about it i spoke with a kitchen firm about the chemichals used to make it and so was said it has none in it anymore, so i started burin it a year ago and to this day no problems, some has a melamine coating which smokes black if the fire is strarted with it so i avoid that, but once hot i burn it and check chimney for smoke and such with no smoke so it must be burinin it all. anyone else use such?
i must say it gets very hot and its free, i know it is used in furnasses to

no man said:
furnasses. Whats that?

Thats the only one you came up with?

For the OP, chip board has chemicals in it. Bad to burn, very bad to burn in a cat stove. What kind of stove are your burning in? Remember ...PAINT KILL CAT

Franks said:
no man said:
furnasses. Whats that?

Thats the only one you came up with?

For the OP, chip board has chemicals in it. Bad to burn, very bad to burn in a cat stove. What kind of stove are your burning in? Remember ...PAINT KILL CAT

Amen to that.
Glad I don't live nearby.
The only objection to using melamine is that it smokes black? Wait,....what?!

hello its a standard non cat stove, just the baffle plate above,, ive been back and forth with my concience about this, as i say burn it from cold it does give out black smoke, but get the fire hot to start with and it really dont seem to smoke at all, i have checked outside at the chimney and there is just a haze you see on a sunny day. the inside of the stove is clean , when burnin from cold the inside of the stove goes glack , but this doesnt happen wen the stove is hot.
i know people say it hes femeldahyde in it, but as far as i know it has been banned from use and a safer alternative is bein used now.
how accurate that is i do not know ?
anyway its free in massive amounts, and very hot,

<shudder> Glad I don't live next door with an asthmatic kid.

No chemicals. What about all the glue used in making this stuff. Do you really want to burn that in the stove?

once a year they have bonfire night, and everyone has a crazy fire, yet we moan about the ozone, the people with asmatic children moan about stuff on stoves then go out and have a bonfire or smoke in the same room as them, its crazy..
apparently the same glue is used in the brisket logs they make for fires as is used to glue chipboard sooo mmmmm lot more evedence to see if there is any truth in it bein so so bad

The byproducts from burning OSB and particle board are worth noting and taken seriously. These products can have up to 6% formaldehyde based binders. By products of combustion will be elevated levels of toxic dioxin and potentially hydrochloric acid. Don't burn it. It releases these toxins into the atmosphere to later settle on plants and nearby waters.

http://www.nachi.org/fireplace-fuel.htm

yes read the same things , so after researching, i found out we in the uk aint allowed to use the said bad products to make it, i think from what i know it was all relevant a while ago before they became keen on most paints and chemichals,
this gets burn in power stations, and boiler houses. and from what i gather knowin someone who works in the power station is , it gets burned at a hotter temperature.
my reason for the wood burner was to cut costs but from what prices of logs are it would not cut costs it would increase if was buyin wood so thats the reason for the chipboard stuff

What is used to glue chipboard and particle board in the UK? Can you provide some reference material links?

Power stations burn at much higher temperatures and have scrubbers. This is not comparable to home wood burning.

Aardbalm, a non-toxic alternative , this is what is apparently used now. but goin back to the nasty formeldahyde, we have it in loads of furniture and the gas does come out of dry products so we may well be breathing it in everyday we sit in our homes. apparently its so serious that there is kits you can buy to put in your home to test for it.
so if you dont have to burn it to release the gas, then the concern should be far greater than burining it

The dangers of burning plywood

Q: Between job sites and the shop, we produce an abundance of plywood scraps that we either burn on site or throw into a dumpster. Does burning plywood produce deleterious emissions into the air? Is it better landfilled?

Jim Ludwig, Tunbridge, VT

A: Alex Wilson, editor of Environmental Building News in Brattleboro, Vt., replies: While many states either prohibit all open burning of construction debris or at least prohibit burning in more populated areas, few states differentiate between wood and manufactured wood products such as plywood, OSB or particleboard. Vermont is the only state I know that does so. In Vermont, it is illegal to burn any kind of wood except natural, untreated, unpainted wood; plywood and related products cannot be burned legally.

According to Phillip Etter of the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources, Vermont’s prohibition against burning manufactured wood products is based on concern that low-temperature combustion of these products may release high levels of formaldehyde and, possibly, more dangerous compounds. He says the ammonium chloride used as a catalyst in some manufactured wood-product resins may result in hydrochloric acid or dioxin emissions under certain conditions.

The only studies I could find comparing combustion emissions of natural wood vs. manufactured wood showed very little difference between the two. A study by researchers at the University of Wisconsin and the U. S. Department of Agriculture Forest Products Laboratory in Madison, Wisconsin, looked at total hydrocarbons, formaldehyde, total aldehydes and carbon monoxide emissions from burning natural aspen and aspen flake board. The study simulated industrial boiler-firing conditions with high combustion temperatures (1,500° to 2,400° F) and increased air supplies. At the lower ranges of temperature and excess air, hydrocarbon, formaldehyde and carbon monoxide emissions from the flake board were somewhat greater than those for natural wood. Low combustion temperatures and limited-oxygen conditions characteristic of open burning or wood stoves were not studied, but it’s reasonable to conclude that under such conditions, more pollution will result from burning manufactured wood than natural wood simply because combustion is more complete at higher temperatures.

Whether on-site burning of manufactured wood is significantly worse than on-site burning of natural wood is still unknown. If you’re considering burning plywood scraps in a woodstove equipped with catalytic combustion, you should be aware that the resins in the plywood may damage the catalyst.

While the merits of on-site burning vs. land filling can be debated at length, the best option is to do neither. Instead, try to design buildings to optimize use of materials; that is, design on 4-ft. modules. You should also attempt to separate plywood and other wood scraps on the job site so that smaller pieces can be located more easily, and try to use scraps of plywood instead of 2xs for nailers, spacers in headers and the like.

All combustion processes create formaldehyde and traces of dioxins and other potentially lethal furans, why add more to the equation?

Bottom line, unless you purchased the chipboard directly from the manufacturer and know thew precise composition of the material and have access to its combustion characteristics at various burn rates and temperatures, best to keep it out of your stove IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.