Thinking About Buying Another Woodstock Keystone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
I think I have a disease, just can't help myself. :lol: I've had the Fireview for 5 years which is pretty long for me but I've been thinking, the new Woodstock hybrid would be cool to try out but both the Fireview and Keystone burning at the same time is more than enough for my 2000 sq ft with one on each level, a bigger stove would just be overkill and I wouldn't be able to really fill her up and see what it can do.

After purchasing the Keystone this year I have found the larger glass with the visible cat a better option than the Fireview and the ash pan is also a plus. I think I could easily get away with 2 Keystones since the Fireview's max BTU's are only 10,000 more and it's not like I need to burn it that hot. I can get 10-12 hour burns with the smaller Keystone which is good for the shoulder seasons and I can turn it up for more heat when needed. I just like the looks of the Keystone much better, not as busy looking as the Fireview.

I already have a buyer for my Fireview and maybe a deal on a used Keystone where I'd only have to pay a few hundred more. What would you do?

One other twist, Woodstock is working on some new options for the Fireview like an ash pan, less ordinant cast iron and a true left side door and controls. This won't be done til after the new stove.

Personally I would keep that Buddhist temple lookalike in the basement just because you know it can haul the freight by itself if need be. You just never know when you won't be able to tend two stoves for any number of reasons.

you must like your keystone more than the fireview. Mostly looks?
Don't be a hater

Yeah, I like the looks of the Keystone way better than that Buddhist temple and the wife and I are sick of shoveling/spilling ashes. I think the Keystone will be able to heat this whole house on the warmer winter days just like the Fireview can, not much difference in heat output that I can see.

Then go get that Keystone! :cheese: You stove junkie.

Actually you have me thinking about one.

My wife wouldn't even discuss a Fireview. She doesn't care at all about the specs. Just doesn't want a Victorian design staring at her. The Keystone passes muster and might have happened here if the moon and stars were aligned right. I would like to try a cat out. Most of our weather is shoulder season burning. Heck, the daffodils and rhodies are starting to bloom. But, now that the lady of the house has been burning regularly in the Alderlea, she is pretty content and doing a good job of it I might add. It was really nice to come home to a warm fire on a cold damp night. Snow and colder predicted tomorrow. Switching to hardwood tonight with the next load.

I'm always a fan of having extra firepower just in case. I'd keep the Fireview for the longer burn times and additional heat, when needed.

Todd, at the end of the day, it's all about what makes you happy. It may not even make any sence at all, but if it makes us happy...
I've learned in my short experience of burning wood stoves, that I will never be entirely happy with my stove/stoves. Curiosity will always keep me thinking of the next best thing. Especially if I keep hanging around here, with the rest of the fanatics. My wife recently accused me of not needing another stove, which is not entirely false. Luckily there is a break on wood burning coming with the spring weather. Otherwise I may buy a third EPA stove for some other part of the house. But with the money we save on heating I figure I can buy a toy this year also. I'm picking up an Encore at the end of the week.

As far as your dilema, you make good points. The fireview has no ash pan, or visible cat. The Keystone does. I understand the benefit of both of those options as they are present in my stove. Seeing the cat is so helpful and so is the ash pan! I would not like to give up either capability. I can't say I side with you on the looks department. The fireview remains one of the best looking stoves out there to me. My wife agrees with you guys. She thinks it belongs in some medieval castle, which is her opinion of most stoves.
She loves the looks of the Encore by the way. But she gave me a terrible look when she found out the newly acquired warming shelf brackets were actually dragons!! :vampire: The midnight blue color is awesome. Getting back to your problem, I don't know if there is a right or wrong here. Just up to you, whatever makes you happy!

Judging by the "warming up my tootsies" video the other day, I have a feeling I know where this will end up! ;-)

You sound likd a man who knows what he likes. The heart wants what the heart wants. . .and if you want two of them, who's to argue. :) OTOH, you have been eyeing that Jotul TL. . .I can't stop myself from suggesting that you wait and see Frankenst0ve. Overkill, maybe, but larger glass - shaped like the Keystone's glass, probably a larger loading door, ash pan, targeted ~ 90% efficiency, maybe a light show to die for, maybe an integrated popcorn popper. :p I just think it's worth waiting another month or six to see it before making a move. When I talked to them about it a year ago, they said they were trying to bring it in below the price of the FV. I expressed doubt, and they said it was one of Morrisey's goals. If you have a very good offer, maybe go ahead and sell the FV and stick it out the rest of the season with the Keystone. . .

. . .and yeah, it is annoying how thew stuck the cat juuust above the window in the FV. Seems like someone thought a glowing cat would appear inelegant or something. I get small secondaries in the air scoop that are fun to watch. . .they just need to make the window higher on the FV. I'm thinking about laying a mirror on the hearth. . .would need to project out off the hearth to get the right angle. . .destined for breakage. . .maybe I could find one the right size in a metal frame.

Todd said:
I think I have a disease, just can't help myself. :lol: I've had the Fireview for 5 years which is pretty long for me but I've been thinking, the new Woodstock hybrid would be cool to try out but both the Fireview and Keystone burning at the same time is more than enough for my 2000 sq ft with one on each level, a bigger stove would just be overkill and I wouldn't be able to really fill her up and see what it can do.

After purchasing the Keystone this year I have found the larger glass with the visible cat a better option than the Fireview and the ash pan is also a plus. I think I could easily get away with 2 Keystones since the Fireview's max BTU's are only 10,000 more and it's not like I need to burn it that hot. I can get 10-12 hour burns with the smaller Keystone which is good for the shoulder seasons and I can turn it up for more heat when needed. I just like the looks of the Keystone much better, not as busy looking as the Fireview.

I already have a buyer for my Fireview and maybe a deal on a used Keystone where I'd only have to pay a few hundred more. What would you do?

One other twist, Woodstock is working on some new options for the Fireview like an ash pan, less ordinant cast iron and a true left side door and controls. This won't be done til after the new stove.

There is no doubt that the Keystone is a great stove. It has it all - large glass, easy to see/monitor cat, ash pan and the looks are a killer. Top/rear vent options make it more versitle install than the Fireview.

What Woodstock ought to do is make a Keystone that is about 1.5 times larger with the exact same look and features and they would have another killer offering.

For some reason, I don't look at the Keystone as a whole house warmer as I do the Fireview, but I don't own a Fireview either. If your house is well insulated (unlike mine) than the Keystone will go a long way towards filling the house with heat. I'm concerned with my upcoming basement install that there may not be enough heat output or wood capacity in a Keystone, but we may buy one anyway. It is not necessary that we totally lean on the stove for heat and to the extent it can hold the heat pump from coming on most of the day/night, then that might be OK.

The Keystone is a real looker and the video you put up the other day is what we've been looking at all winter and it has been great! If you are not maxing out your Fireview, you might be fine with the Keystone. Ours with the rear vent straight into our chimney really fits nicely in our room. Without a traditional stovepipe set-up going vertical and then turning 90 degrees, the presence of the stove doesn't seem to impact the room decor and the nice soapstone and cast plate that covers the top vent exit looks great and is a nice place to keep the steamer kettle.

I'd say if you got the $$$'s and like the Keystone and got a buyer for your Fireview - go for it.

Now......... what color ;)

Good luck,
Bill

You guys give great advice like always. This is a tough decision, what I have now works just fine but I'm never satisfied, there is always something better out there. I bet if I bought the Keystone and the new Woodstock comes out, I'll probably be kicking myself, same thing if they end up changing the options on the Fireview. Need to find out when this new stove will be ready.

I believe the last time reference was "1st Q 2011," which *could* still happen, but. . .Anyhow, they've been burning in Frankie for a year, and they're doing the cosmetics now. How much longer could it be? I would be sh0cked if they didn't release it before the next BBQ. Maybe it won't be the stove for you, but I think there's still too much unknown about it to decide now. I went ahead and got the FV after talking to them a lot and deciding that the new stove would most likely be too tall for my 27" lintel. . .BAM! they added the low-rider pedestal option. To me. the release just seems to be too near now to buy Keystone #2 without first seeing if Wunderst0ve is indeed "all that." Lessee. . .whose turn is it to call and bug them? :)

I was just told they are trying to get the new stove into production by late Spring and get any wrinkles out before the busy season. There should be some new info up on their blog by this weekend. Guess I could at least wait til the weekend.

pinewoodburner said:
Does the Keystone take a 7" Flue? Would you have to change your setup?

It can do either 6 or 7". I think I'd go with the rear exhaust option with a 7" tee and install a 7 to 6" reducer on top of the tee to connect to my 6" pipe. Or install the reducer right at the stove collar and go with a 6" tee, still thinking what would look better.

Todd said:
pinewoodburner said:

It can do either 6 or 7". I think I'd go with the rear exhaust option with a 7" tee and install a 7 to 6" reducer on top of the tee to connect to my 6" pipe. Or install the reducer right at the stove collar and go with a 6" tee, still thinking what would look better.

Todd,

The Woodstock reducer from 7 to 6 inch has a nice looking step to it and looks great. When I went from vertical to horizontal flue exit, I also went from single to double wall pipe. The OD of the double wall pipe is the same OD at the 7" adapter and so the transition is very smooth. I bought a 2nd magnetic therometer from Woodstock and put it on the horizontal pipe about 12 inch (not looking at the stove now) and while it is advised not to use a surface mount thermometer on double wall pipe, with it located on top of the pipe, I get almost exactly the same readings I got with the vertical single wall pipe when compared to stove top temperatures - it works great.

My draft with the horizontal run is terrific and again the extra soapstone setting on top of the stove in the cast iron cover for the vertical flue exit really makes the stove look more "high end" to quote my brother's words.

The Keystone is just a beautiful stove.

I re-read your first post and if you can get a used Keystone, you may come-out pretty good on the $$'s side. I can't imagine wearing out one of these Keystones as they are just a really great stove.

Good luck,
Bill

Go for it Todd!!! I'll even help you get that pesky Fireview out of your house and into my truck.. ;)

leeave96 said:
Todd said:
pinewoodburner said:

Todd,

The Woodstock reducer from 7 to 6 inch has a nice looking step to it and looks great. When I went from vertical to horizontal flue exit, I also went from single to double wall pipe. The OD of the double wall pipe is the same OD at the 7" adapter and so the transition is very smooth. I bought a 2nd magnetic therometer from Woodstock and put it on the horizontal pipe about 12 inch (not looking at the stove now) and while it is advised not to use a surface mount thermometer on double wall pipe, with it located on top of the pipe, I get almost exactly the same readings I got with the vertical single wall pipe when compared to stove top temperatures - it works great.

My draft with the horizontal run is terrific and again the extra soapstone setting on top of the stove in the cast iron cover for the vertical flue exit really makes the stove look more "high end" to quote my brother's words.

The Keystone is just a beautiful stove.

I re-read your first post and if you can get a used Keystone, you may come-out pretty good on the $$'s side. I can't imagine wearing out one of these Keystones as they are just a really great stove.

Good luck,
Bill

Yeah, I'd rather go rear exit and have that extra stone panel up top. Should of done that with my other one. It will have 3 90's if you include the the one at the stove and I really don't like the sound of that but that's how the Fireview is set up and it drafts fine. I'm also keeping my pipe single wall, lots of good start up heat comes off that 4' run of single wall.

Bobforsaken said:
Go for it Todd!!! I'll even help you get that pesky Fireview out of your house and into my truck.. ;)

I need all the help I can get moving that big rock! I'll give you a few days notice before I switch them out so you have time to drive all that way from Maine. ;-)

Go for what you and the wife wants and you'll both be happy. Personally, I prefer the looks of the Fireview. If they would have only had the Keystone, I would have looked elsewhere, but that is simply a matter of choice.

I do wish BeGreen would quit telling us about the flowers.... All we see is white.

Backwoods Savage said:
Go for what you and the wife wants and you'll both be happy. Personally, I prefer the looks of the Fireview. If they would have only had the Keystone, I would have looked elsewhere, but that is simply a matter of choice.

I do wish BeGreen would quit telling us about the flowers.... All we see is white.

LOL!!!! :lol: I thought the same thing about that comment when I read it. We still have over a foot of frozen mess here too. I do like hearing about the flowers though. I can't wait to have a bunch all around the yard. Less than two months till we go to the Easter egg hunt at the local nursery with the boys. We usually buy some flowers there later in May, but they always have something growing in the greenhouses! I can't wait.

Sorry about that, just trying to let you know that spring's around the corner. But, now you've got your wish. We are seeing white tonight too. Nighttime temps may drop into the teens. If so, we'll be setting records for late Feb. The downside being, what hits us first, heads east. Weather is damn fickle this year. In the meantime, we are switching to hardwood for overnight burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.