New install Jotul f45v2 or Woodstock fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Patrick1986

Feb 8, 2023
Boston01801
Good morning,

I am new here. I have been doing a bit of research over the past few months. I am looking to install a Woodstove outside of an existing fireplace. This would need to be a rear venting stove and has led me to two options so far. I have gotten advice from a local fireplace shop and the had mentioned the Jotul f45v2 would fit this application. The lintel of the fireplace is 26 inches. I would need to extend the hearth a bit. Also I have contacted Woodstock and they mentioned both the fireview and keystone would fit. I was hoping to seek some advice here. My house is one level 1100 sq ft ranch. I have attached photos for reference.

79DDBD0A-3DBE-437C-A6E4-4B3A225176D8.jpeg 1FCEE834-C8BB-45F2-9F84-633AAD245223.jpeg

Good morning,

I am new here. I have been doing a bit of research over the past few months. I am looking to install a Woodstove outside of an existing fireplace. This would need to be a rear venting stove and has led me to two options so far. I have gotten advice from a local fireplace shop and the had mentioned the Jotul f45v2 would fit this application. The lintel of the fireplace is 26 inches. I would need to extend the hearth a bit. Also I have contacted Woodstock and they mentioned both the fireview and keystone would fit. I was hoping to seek some advice here. My house is one level 1100 sq ft ranch. I have attached photos for reference.

View attachment 309461 View attachment 309462
Why not consider inserts as well?

Why not consider inserts as well?
I have considered an insert just prefer idea of a stove. My fireplace dimensions are
26 inches wide
18 inches deep 20 inches wide at the back.
I was told a lopi answer would fit but the firebox seemed very small. Do you have any recommendations that would fit?

Only would i choose the F45 if it was rear vented to a T. Read the manual about how to take the top off which you would have to do to if it’s top vented when you sweep.

I have both stove and insert. You can fit a bigger insert than you can stove. Both need fans if the stove sits back in the fireplace. I prefer stove for classic looks insert for heat output and burn time.

I’ve burned all three of those stoves, currently burning the F45. All great choices, probably choose the Fireview over the Keystone for the larger firebox and easier cat access. The Keystone has a nice ash pan system if your looking for less mess. The side loading of the Woodstocks may give you problems if you don’t have the room off the right side. Oh and I believe the Woodstocks also only require 10” hearth out front but 16” off the side door.

The F45 is a great stove too, just as long of burn times as the Woodstocks. Glass stays super clean, front to back easy loading, and I think easier to operate. It’s a longer stove than the Woodstocks so you may need a larger hearth extension. I believe the F35 is now available, you may want to look at that as well.

What is the fireplace opening height? It looks to be about 32'? How will the stove be run? Primary heat - 24/7 for as many days as possible or Supplemental - nights and weekends and during very cold weather?

The Fireview is an excellent and time-proven heater. It also is capable of running at quite a low and slow level. For a 1000 sq ft space, this looks like a good fit. The F45 will have more top-end, but will require burning partial loads with shorter burns during milder weather.

What is the fireplace opening height? It looks to be about 32'? How will the stove be run? Primary heat - 24/7 for as many days as possible or Supplemental - nights and weekends and during very cold weather?

The Fireview is an excellent and time-proven heater. It also is capable of running at quite a low and slow level. For a 1000 sq ft space, this looks like a good fit. The F45 will have more top-end, but will require burning partial loads with shorter burns during milder weather.
Thank you for the feedback. I would most likely use this as supplementary heat as much as possible. If I was able to use less oil even better. The opening is 26 inches tall. I spoke with a representative at Woodstock yesterday she said the top of a 6 inch flue would be at 25.7 which is just under. They confirmed this would work. I do like the idea of the low end heat as we have a small house to heat.

For an insert, the Kuma Alpine LE would work. It's a catalytic insert.

I believe the F45 is 29.75 inches tall so if your opening is only 26 inches, hopefully the stove would fit with the shorter legs. My fireplace was 30 inches and I used the short legs which added about $175 more to the price.

Thank you for the feedback. I would most likely use this as supplementary heat as much as possible. If I was able to use less oil even better. The opening is 26 inches tall. I spoke with a representative at Woodstock yesterday she said the top of a 6 inch flue would be at 25.7 which is just under. They confirmed this would work. I do like the idea of the low end heat as we have a small house to heat.
26” opening really limits choices. Seriously think about an insert. Even one without the surround installed. You will need a fan to help move air anyway.

9BF9CEFE-A15B-402D-BEC8-447B28EF29C1.jpeg

i like the look of the stove in fireplace too, have mine set up like that.don't forget to block off chimney opening to keep heat in house as for stove get what you like just read reviews before pulling trigger.and double check dimension

Very good choice! Looks very nice.