Choice between two stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steveb5004

Mar 11, 2014
Ohio
I'm choosing between a US Stove 2500 new from Rural King for $899 ($1032 delivered to my house) and a five year old used Buck Stove model 74. It's listed on Craigalist for $900 and I can hopefully talk them down to $800. Let's use the $900 figure to be safe. It appears to be fully functional and in good cosmetic shape.

I'll be heating a 2,100 square foot, well-insulated, L-shaped ranch house in Central Ohio. I burn well-seasoned wood, mostly ash and oak.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

I would go with the Buck. That extra 110 pounds comes from something.

X2

I fully agree, nothing better than a well built stove. More metal

Thanks for the replies. I'm now sold on the Buck and will be picking it up Saturday. The company's web site says manufactured home installation (which I will be doing) requires a fresh air intake kit. I haven't been able to find anything about it...is it basically the same as the US Stove air intake that uses the dryer-like vent ran through the wall to a box on the outside of the house?

Thanks again for the replies. This site has been a ton of help.

Page 26 of the Buck 74 manual covers the Outside Air Kit. It's listed as part FA P21B. According to the manual this sounds like it comes with the pedestal kit. It looks like it connects with standard, aluminum dryer duct, but you could do it with 4" rigid duct pipe if preferred. Also remember that the stove is supposed to be bolted down to the hearth in a mobile.

The manual is listed here just above the stove dimensions:
http://www.buckstove.com/model-74.html#.UzWEVkLsMeU

If you can't find the fresh air kit, email them

[email protected]

They are very responsive and will help you out.

Glad you went with the buck, I think you will be happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.