Choosing wood burning insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G Archer

Aug 7, 2008
Middle Georgia
Hi folks, Great forum! I need some advice a selecting a wood burning insert.I have looked and priced several different models.Quadra-fire,(Lopi,Avalon,Fireplace Xtrordinair, which are made by the same Company),and Jotul. The Quad 4100i weighs 345lbs.The Jotul,Lopi, and FX weigh in at over 450lbs. Does this mean the heavier inserts are made much better? Which is the better insert? Jotul C 450 Kennebec $2400 Lopi Declaration $3800 FX 33 Elite $3700
Quadrafire 4100 i $ 3000. The Jotul brochure does not give the firebox size.Does anyone know the size? Any help would be greatly appreciated.Sorry for the long post,but I want to get the best insert possible.

House specs are Single story,2000 Sq.ft. 11.5 ft. ceilings 25ft.interior masonary chimmney

Glenn Archer
Middle Georgia

Wow, am I behind the times!
$3800 for a wood burning insert? Are these installed prices? Seems high........

More weight does not mean a better unit. Engineering is as (or more) important than weight. I have seen 150 lbs stoves last decades.

All of the models you mention are well known brands. Some of the choice depends on your intentions for use. In your climate, you might not want to oversize the stove. That masonry interior chimney will heat up nicely and radiate for hours.

Also, keep your wood type and supply in mind. If you have a limited amt of wood, then getting a bigger firebox is not always the best choice. Also, if you are burning dense hardwoods you can get by with a smaller box than if you burn lighter wood.

Maybe someone else here can measure up their Jotul firebox.....or. you can measure at the dealers (if close by)....

If that is installed that is a good price if not WOW ! :ahhh:

Thanks for replies folks. The LOPI Declaration was quoted as follows Insert $3102 Artisan face (wife liked this option) $593 Panel $155 This is from a dealer in Tenn.Do prices vary much from dealer to dealer? This is NOT an installed price.Can you negotiate price with dealers? Also, would an insert that protrudes out on the hearth put out more heat than a flush unit?

Thanks for your time
Glenn Archer

From my experience here in NE Ohio, dealers are charging exactly the MRSP for inserts this season.

Can't tell you a darned thing about the pricing, but I can tell you that the more the wood-burning appliance sits outside the existing masonry fireplace, the more radiant and convective heat produced by the appliance will be delivered to the space in which it's installed. A blower goes a long way (and is, at least in my mind, essential on an insert). A hearth stove installation is better, and if you have room for extending your hearth to accept a freestanding stove, then that's even better. Rick

well heres my suggestion.....................get a pacific energy go for the summit it will be cheaper and heat your 2000sq ft many of us on the site have em and love em

Status
Not open for further replies.