Christmas pickaroon for dad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FaithfulWoodsman

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2015
Geographic Center of Ohio
Dad and mom have moved back home and I have my firewood cutting partner back. Dad being in his 60's told me about a pickaroon he saw online to help moving wood easier and faster. I've seen/heard of them, but always thought it wouldn't be much help. A little pricey online with shipping and I knew I could fab one just as good. After making this and testing it out I don't think I'm gonna be able to live without one. LOL. Ash handle, 6" grade 8 carriage bolt, steel tube to reinforce the wood end and a little paint. Tried to copy the point I saw on the Logrite version. All it needs now is some linseed oil. Gonna make mine after Christmas and recommend anyone who doesn't have one to join in on the enlightenment. :)

IMG_0532.JPG
IMG_0536.JPG
IMG_0538.JPG

I like the idea but I don't wind up using mine much in practice. It gets used more to drag rounds out of the front of the pickup bed than it gets used to pick up splits.

I like your design, though. If I make another one I will do something like that, but with a 3/4" bolt ground down so that it's barely filed down vertically but rather thin horizontally. (The one I have now would be more useful if I could put more lifting weight on it.)

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Thanks. Yeah I wanted him to be able to lift a decent round with it. That's why I went with the hardened 5/8" bolt and left it as thick as poss, but still have a "sticky" tip. I was careful not to overheat it and ruin the hardness. Time will tell if it can handle consistently handle 12" - 15" rounds of hardwood. If it doesn't, then I'll fix it and make another heavier duty version to lift the larger rounds. 3/4" bolt or maybe modify a pick axe/mattock tool with more mass.

Thanks. Yeah I wanted him to be able to lift a decent round with it. That's why I went with the hardened 5/8" bolt and left it as thick as poss, but still have a "sticky" tip. I was careful not to overheat it and ruin the hardness. Time will tell if it can handle consistently handle 12" - 15" rounds of hardwood. If it doesn't, then I'll fix it and make another heavier duty version to lift the larger rounds. 3/4" bolt or maybe modify a pick axe/mattock tool with more mass.

Another thing I was thinking about: Find a old double-bladed hatchet head, grind one blade down to a pickaroon, and put a longer handle on it. That'd be durn useful, though you'd have to go with a straight handle so you could use both sides.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
LOGRITE has changed their design for the better! Following are some pics of said design change..I have the old style and did not care for it as it would often take several strokes for it to stick and it would not hold well...this new design solves that problem in spades! Much more purchase power when sticking hardwoods and I mean well seasoned and hardened hardwoods! This is due to the flat profile and they added a small barb.
IMG_3077.jpg
IMG_3078.jpg
IMG_3079.jpg
You can retrofit your old Logrite pickaroons and I have done so....

That new barbed design deff looks like it will hold better. I tested mine on two year oak and it snagged em with ease and released with a wrist flick. My only slight concern is can the tip take the heavy rounds without shearing. But i think itll be fine.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Another thing I was thinking about: Find a old double-bladed hatchet head, grind one blade down to a pickaroon, and put a longer handle on it. That'd be durn useful, though you'd have to go with a straight handle so you could use both sides.
Now you got me thinking again...lol That would be very useful especially when you are running your splitter!

Reactions: Lone_Gun
That new barbed design deff looks like it will hold better. I tested mine on two year oak and it snagged em with ease and released with a wrist flick. My only slight concern is can the tip take the heavy rounds without shearing. But i think itll be fine.
I noticed your tip has a slimmer profile than the original Logrite model I have and I am sure it works better as a result. The old models tip was to fat. I have a 48 in model so I don't have to climb in the truck and a 24 in model for working around the splitter when working solo. I really like using them.

I have the Forester 17” pickaroon. It has a head similar to the Log Rite. I always thought an ice skate blade would make a good pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk