Chrome or Nickle Plating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meneillys

Feeling the Heat
May 5, 2009
Bernhards Bay, NY
I was thinking of taking my burn pot out this summer and having it plated with a high gloss high temp finish. There is a place in Syracuse that will do a box full of stuff for $80 so I might do the back plates and heat exchanger shield also. Has any one does this or know more about plating and temp ratings? A company I worked for used to get Nickel plating and we ran the steel at a constant 200 Celsius so I figure the pellet heat shouldn't damage it.

thats a new one! the only drawback I could see (other than maybe the plating not being able to handle the constant heat load) would be the eventual scratching of the suface when you scrape it all out to clean it.. once you start putting gouges in the plated surface, the rest of it will probably start to flake off... that being said, it sounds like a neat project: If you do it, I'd like to see some pics of the interior bling!

Interesting idea. Could make the burn pot and other parts real easy to keep clean.

Not the same, because of less heat issues, but . . . . .

We have a traditional style, center chimney, Cape Cod home with the SS flex liner going up through, and the cap on top of, the center chimney.

A bright, shiney, stainless cap would not compliment the architecture, and I was unable to locate a black cap that would fit the liner, so I took the cap to a specialty coating shop and had it powder coated black.

Wanted a flat black, but the shop owner told me that flat would not hold up to the UV and elements, so we went with a semi-gloss "nanno" black.

Has stood up well and blends better than SS.

Please let us know what you decide.

Ranger

Even industrial HARD CHROME is going to foul with soot and carbon in short order.

Nickel and decorative chrome wont last in the fire pot.

Save the $$$$$
Now if you want to chrome or nickel some of the decorative parts of the stove that would be way cool.

For example, My Advantage has a trivett on top that the plating is peeling and has sharp edges.

A replate job would be a way cool thing to do.

The interior of the stove (Firebox) is going to collect crap no matter what you do.

I say, save the $$$$$ and buy more pellets.

Snowy

There was a thread last year about doing a jet hot coating on the burnpot. Same coating they use on exhaust headers on Hi po cars. Not sure if they ever tried it though. I bet its pricey for sure.

It would be nice to get a coating that didn't let the carbon stick to it and it would handle the heat the burnpot gets. Just to make it easier to clean. But cost would probably kill the deal on it!

A non stick coating sounds interesting... bare steel seems to hold up the best, it ages, and seasons over time, but chrome and nickel doesnt sound like it would hold up to red hot embers very long without breaking down and cracking. My burn pot is a cast steel pot about 1/4 inch thick steel and very easy to take care of.

jtakeman said:
There was a thread last year about doing a jet hot coating on the burnpot. Same coating they use on exhaust headers on Hi po cars. Not sure if they ever tried it though. I bet its pricey for sure.

It would be nice to get a coating that didn't let the carbon stick to it and it would handle the heat the burnpot gets. Just to make it easier to clean. But cost would probably kill the deal on it!

I regularly use Jet Hot proprietary plasma coating on motorcycle exhaust headers with great results but I too believe that the interior of a firebox is best left to mill finish material.

If you want a shiny firepot, fab one from 304 Brushed stainless and buff it.

The stainless was my other thought. Mostly for the clean out door most people I know with the Castile say that at times it is a pain to get the door open with the pull handle. First idea was machine one out of SS then I thought about plating it. I don't care about looks and actually I think having a shiny silver burn pot would probably look kinda silly. But it is one price for what ever you want so if doing the clean out door might a well do some other parts so they are easier to clean. Was thinking about the impeller on the exhaust fan also. I could take the whole stove to this place and it would still cost $80. Thanks for all the info. I'm thinking I wont be doing this due to the intense heat in the burn bot tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.