Chunks & Uglies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Before I started burning today I cleaned up the Oak (1&2) chunks and uglies along with the red maple(3).

This will make plowing a bit easier. ::P

Attachments

• 100_6474.JPG
    100_6474.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 176
Wow, that is a lot of snow already. We have not seen any accumulation of snow here yet.

It looks like it will be gone real quick with the rain coming in along with some warmer temps. Should make a mess in certain areas until it freezes again.

Those suckers hidden in snow & froze in place, you'd be kissing the windshield plowing that area.
Glad you got them cleaned up.

Nice work there ZAP. I see that warm weather coming and hope it is not here for long to tell you the truth. In the fifties is just too warm for this time of year. I want the top of the ground frozen so I can be hauling wood out and not be making ruts. And I don't need to worry about no dam ticks either! :mad: My brother has had three of them on him. Two had to be removed at the hospital. And my dog had one on him as well. We never use to have ticks up here. Ever. We use to be in these woods everyday when I was younger. Never had any ticks.

That is true Bogy. I had my brother remind me one time that I might want to put my seatbelt on when I was plowing with one of my plow trucks I use to own. I had taken it off for some reason and forgot to put it back on. So he said, "Do you like your teeth?". ;lol Good point.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Before I started burning today I cleaned up the Oak (1&2) chunks and uglies along with the red maple(3).

This will make plowing a bit easier. ::P

No snow here, heck its 50 and raining but I've got a small fire going of chunks that have been hanging around for 3 & 4 years. Some oak, ash and maple. Sure takes the damp out of the air and makes the room feel real nice even at 50 deg.;lol

Nice work there ZAP. I see that warm weather coming and hope it is not here for long to tell you the truth. In the fifties is just too warm for this time of year. I want the top of the ground frozen so I can be hauling wood out and not be making ruts. And I don't need to worry about no dam ticks either! :mad: My brother has had three of them on him. Two had to be removed at the hospital. And my dog had one on him as well. We never use to have ticks up here. Ever. We use to be in these woods everyday when I was younger. Never had any ticks.

That is true Bogy. I had my brother remind me one time that I might want to put my seatbelt on when I was plowing with one of my plow trucks I use to own. I had taken it off for some reason and forgot to put it back on. So he said, "Do you like your teeth?". ;lol Good point.
So far this year all I used for ticks was the spray you can get at the country store, I have the stuff you spray on your cloths which last for six washings but I never used it this year.

It will cool down by the end of next week so the trails will firm up.

So far this year all I used for ticks was the spray you can get at the country store, I have the stuff you spray on your cloths which last for six washings but I never used it this year.

It will cool down by the end of next week so the trails will firm up.

That's right. You told me about that spray before. I am going to get some of that stuff for next year. Might get one for my brother for Christmas!;lol

Zap, they have revised our forecast (surprise...). Not to be in 60's now but another day of 50+ on Tuesday before going back to reality.

I'd wait until that snow was gone before getting it. I've never enjoyed digging wood out of the snow. But if you have to, one of these little tools is extremely nice.

Log tongs.jpg

Zap, they have revised our forecast (surprise...). Not to be in 60's now but another day of 50+ on Tuesday before going back to reality.

I'd wait until that snow was gone before getting it. I've never enjoyed digging wood out of the snow. But if you have to, one of these little tools is extremely nice.

View attachment 83519
What is that tool called? I had the broom out to sweep the snow off when I did it. Looks like the weather will void of any real cold or storms for a week so I'll continue with the cleaning up of the property and burning of the pine.

Log tongs zap. I got ours from Baileys when I had ordered something else. You can buy cheaper versions but I can't say anything good or bad about them. I do remember Amazon has some cheaper.

Reactions: zap
Chunks and uglies....I thought you were talking about me. I've lost 15 lbs so now I'm just ugly!

Log tongs zap. I got ours from Baileys when I had ordered something else. You can buy cheaper versions but I can't say anything good or bad about them. I do remember Amazon has some cheaper.
The wife would like it to cool down, she loves the heat from a woodstove.

Gotta get mine outta the way, at least before it's time to cut the grass!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, Snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KC

So that's where those pieces go that won't make those dang perfect laser level stacks! That tool that sav posted looks handy zap, maybe santa will drop one off? ;)

Looks like you got some snow i am beginning to wonder if my area has done had winter.

Looks like you got some snow i am beginning to wonder if my area has done had winter.
After yesterday all the snow is gone, looks real ugly.

After yesterday all the snow is gone, looks real ugly.

Tomorrow night the forecast is for rain hopefully we get enough to wet the fire up on the mountain.

This weekend I'll finally burn the downed pine in this area, then get the chunks & uglies off the ground.

Attachments

• 100_6370.JPG
    100_6370.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 145
I am jealous of all that snow!
It looks like we will get a couple of inches on Wednesday night if the forecast is correct. I hope it's enough to cover the pine needles, looks ugly in the woods around the house.

I can taste the steaks for the planned cookout already.

Reactions: Gasifier
Will they be cooked over wood ZAP?

Will they be cooked over wood ZAP?
Yes they will Gasifier. I plan on burning a chit load of pine then once I'm within a hour of cooking the steaks (chime in if I should throw on the Cherry before) some Beech & Cherry will be added.

For the guys that cookout please chime in on how long it will take to burn down the beech & cherry to coals. I did some cooking at my FIL camp years ago but he was the boss, I added the beech when he wanted it. By the time the chicken was ready to go on we had a great bed of coals.

Status
Not open for further replies.