CL Ad...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dieselhead said:

They both want 50% of the wood, no thanks. Last fall from a craigslist contact I got to clear cut about a 3/4acre lot that was totally overgrown in elm, cherry, ash and white oak.
Lots of buckthorn. It was lots of work because of the buckthorn but I had all fall/winter to work on it and could just stack the brush were ever I wanted on the lot.
I also could just leave anything that I didn't feel safe cutting. Only thing left is a large dead box elder that is totally rotton in the center. Because I was working there I was contacted by adjacent landowners wanting me to do the same thing... scored a bunch of already down ash from one, the other has a 2 acre lot that I'm still thinking about (mostly siberian elm so I don't know if it's worth it). Point is it would be nuts to expect you to clear a lot and then process half the wood for the landowner... I figure you're already doing them a huge favor if they want the trees gone.

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/zip/2291851248.html

Actually... I dont think this one sounds TOO bad. It doesnt say it needs to be SPLIT....just cut. If I have to cut it anyway, leaving half isnt too bad, as long as its nice ,quality, straight hardwood.

Getting wood on halves is not a good deal at all for you but is for the person who had the wood. 1/3 - 2/3 is more normal. After all, you do the work and it is your equipment. For sure I'd never even consider cutting and leaving half of what I cut.

I wouldnt consider cutting if I HAD to leave anything! Your already saving them several hundred dollars by not calling out a tree crew, how much more do they want??? Seems like homeowners in CT are using us for spring cleaning. If its to my advantage I consider it 50/50 if 50% is me taking all your wood, 50% is them saving on a tree crew. Screw that....

Cut off about 2/3 of an acre at the firehouse two summers ago that was going to be the site of our future fire pond . . . very wet and made more so due to the particularly wet summer we had that year. Lots of elm, poplar, red maple and a smattering of oak . . .

I did it since the wood source was closer than the family land and it was helping out the firehouse . . . the only thing that was requested was I pile the brush in piles to be burned . . . not a bad deal. Don't think I would have done this if I had to give up half of the wood I had cut . . . in fact I'm pretty sure I would not have done that type of deal. To me most of the expense in getting wood to burn is not the wood, gas or equipment -- to me it's the time involved in cutting, branching, bucking and getting the wood from the woods to the home.

I would walk on sharing anything unless they are providing labor. At that point they could have all they can stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.