CL Buzz Saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
This thing looks like a beast!
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/grd/2640247428.html

5V45U25P03k93md3o9ba98dc7fcd649541280.jpg

Sheesh! Scary looking monster, wonder what it's for?

Hope you're not really considering buying that amputation tool! That's the sort of thing OSHA is intended for.

If you want to borrow my little HF 10" table saw, that's doable. Flip the piece, and cut through 7".

That thing will make bucking limbs with a chainsaw look silly. Could be useful for trimming down splits too since I can't get my cutting partners to stay under 20". >:-(

Pretty similar to what we called a "saw-rig" when I was growing up, drove it with a wide belt off a tractor pulley, usually. Slap a 4' stick on the carriage, make 2 cuts, cut up a lot of firewood with one of those back in the day.

I really liked this set up monted on a 3 point hitch. It made cleaning up fence rows a lot easier and quicker. Made darn good time cutting fire wood from logging slash also. The guards I have seen were pretty substancial.

Any PTO farm implement is risky.

ATB,
Mike

I couldn't hazard a guess at how many osage fence posts I chopped up using a flat belt (on tractor pulley) version of the thing. It really isn't much more dangerous than a chain saw, in my opinion. Gotta keep on your toes while using either one.

Jags said:
I couldn't hazard a guess at how many osage fence posts I chopped up using a flat belt (on tractor pulley) version of the thing. It really isn't much more dangerous than a chain saw, in my opinion. Gotta keep on your toes while using either one.

When things go awry, there's a LOT more mass/energy involved.

MasterMech said:
Jags said:

When things go awry, there's a LOT more mass/energy involved.

Use a bigger chainsaw. :)

If I was given specific instruction I would feel as safe as a chainsaw. I use big saws many days a week. It is all in the person running it. Most "accidents" happen when someone does something wrong. I have seen many industrial accidents very few are truly "freak".

RNLA said:
If I was given specific instruction I would feel as safe as a chainsaw. I use big saws many days a week. It is all in the person running it. Most "accidents" happen when someone does something wrong. I have seen many industrial accidents very few are truly "freak".

Exactly.

RNLA said:

Here, hold my beer an' I'll show ya how to run this thang.

Here, hold my beer an' I'll show ya how to run this thang.[/quote] Funny, I have said that before! Not really but I do believe there are many very dangerous tools out there, with proper instruction you can operate with minimal destruction... Take the gas powered, two man, post hole digger for example that is a good one. Just try it! You and your buddies will have great fun in rocky soil... Warning SOME BEER REQUIRED. :)

RNLA said:
Here, hold my beer an' I'll show ya how to run this thang. Funny, I have said that before! Not really but I do believe there are many very dangerous tools out there, with proper instruction you can operate with minimal destruction... Take the gas powered, two man, post hole digger for example that is a good one. Just try it! You and your buddies will have great fun in rocky soil... Warning SOME BEER REQUIRED. :)

LOL how about a ONE MAN gas auger? On a job about 25 yrs back,Labor Foreman stuck me with that damn thing to bore a few 12" holes for footings underneath heavy concrete steps at a new school. "Oh dont worry about him,he's young & tough!" Yeah....I'm 5 foot 7,with the auger installed,the handles on that damn thing came up to my shoulders,no way was I tall enough or heavy enough to control it properly. I got him back later though,f-ing jerk.Was worth it getting canned.

Check it out good if you want to buy it. Also you need to do lots of sharpening on saws like that but you can cut a lot of wood is a short time with a good buzz saw like that. You also need to check out the table as it is home made. Does it move good? Easy? Does it allow a square cut?

Nope. Just thought you all might get a kick out of it. Most the wood I cut is way to big to cut with one of those. Here in the suburbs I am usually dealing with big, older trees that come down in bad weather. I could't imagine bringing home 18"-24" logs to cut on the buzz saw. I have to cut rounds and usually split them so I can lift them onto the truck. Looks like the buzz saw is good for mass production with smaller stuff.

Thistle said:
RNLA said:

Exactly.

I would be the freak....That is cool though.

In the years we used them there were no accidents with them that I recall. However I can reacll a number of noteworthy accidents with chainsaws.

I don't recall any horseplay within 15-20' of the buzz saw ; )

I would use one if I had one.

Mike

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
RNLA said:

Exactly.

I would be the freak....That is cool though.
Ah Jay, you no freak! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.