Class-A chimney thru roof deck?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cgesek

Jan 2, 2015
CT
In this thread
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/liner-size-issue.172387/ I have been advised that there's virtually no chance of fitting a 6" liner down my brick chimney. I'm now considering where to fit a prefab.

The main house is 3 floors and the addition is 2 floors with a roof deck(porch) on top. Running the chimney from the basement up through the addition would avoid the more formal rooms in the main house, but it would have to come up through the roof deck.

Assuming all clearances are met and the 10-3-2 rule is applied is this safe? The 4x4 in the pictures is the approximate location where the chimney would penetrate. 20181215_092516.jpgDSC05756.jpg

It should be fine, but you will have to build a chase around it for probably 7 feet up or so.
Not sure what your total height would be, but that chimney will draft like crazy, will
likely require a stove pipe damper in the connector...