Class A install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southbalto

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
I'm going out the back of the stove to a finishing collar, through the wall with a thimble and into a tee in the exterior chase.

Couple questions:

I need to use elbow(s) to offset the pipe about 15" to the side for the run up the chase. I was wondering if it would be acceptable to rotate the tee to to get the flu running in the direction I need and connect it to one 15 or 30 degree elbow for the run up the chase. I guess the other option is to keep the tee vertical and buy two elbows to allow for the offset.

Also,

I'm picking up a chimney support that I'll attach to the wall. Since I have an offset coming off the tee, I was thinking of putting the support after the offset(s) (where the bulk of the weight is going to be). Do i need another support block under the tee in this case? Below the first wall support would be one or two elbows, a 24" section and the tee. I'm wondering if that weight required another wall support.

I'm working with my FIL who has a background in HVAC. His commercial distributor stocks MetalFab Class A Chimney products. Any good/bad experiences with this product?

Thanks all. Happy Holidays

If understand the first question - you want to rotate the class A tee to get it going in the right direction - which is exactly what I am considering.

Honestly I would not advise unless the manufacturer says it is okay to do so - but if you think the T is suppose to support the weight of the chimney with the TEE support bracket, we'd be side loading the chimney rather than a vertical gravity effect (that make sense ?)

Didnt see any replies...have you made any progress or anything new to add ?

-John

Great install pics...ideas are floating in my head now!

Status
Not open for further replies.