Class a pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

steven90

Dec 14, 2018
Barboursville WV
I've had a class a flue installed outside my home for just about a month or so. I seen the other day like a brown streak almost like rust running down the side of the pipe. I'm guessing that the since burning wood that the chimney cap is getting dirty and the rain is washing the dirt down the pipe. I'm guessing this is normal? Is there anything I can do to prevent the discoloration of the pipe?

There should be nothing dripping down the pipe. It could be the bead around the storm collar was not well done. Or, some Selkirk pipe can also have minor leakage along the seam. If the pipe is Metalbest or SuperPro try siliconing the seam of the lowest section from the storm collar up to the first joint. Regular clear silicone is ok, just use a good quality brand.

I have a similar setup, my entire chimney is outside after it exits My basement wall. My cap gets creosote stains built up but all but disappears over the following summer. Mine is 316 stainless steel made by Ventis.

I misread this and was thinking the streaks were showing up inside the house. Cellphones suck for following threads when your eyesight is not great. If the streaks are outside, it can happen depending on how dry the wood is and how the stove is being run. One or two may not be a big deal. If there are a lot of them, check the wood for moisture content.

Reactions: kennyp2339
Pics speak 1000 words, but it sounds like it could be soot or even a bit of cap creosote being washed off. Since you are a new burner, I'd check your pipe in a month or so to make sure it isn't getting a build up. There's a pretty healthy learning curve and nobody wants to interrupt that curve with carbon monoxide alarms or chimney fires.

I was up on the roof this morning to check it out, the chimney cap is dirty to look at but the cage around it has no build up on it whatsoever. Seems to me that when it rains the dirty water from the chimney cap is travelling down the pipe