Clay flue and SS liner fit issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarbonNeutral

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2009
Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
I have a clay liner, rectangular, 6.5" by 10.25" internal dimension. I am buying a F500 Oslo with 6" flue diameter.

I want to put an insulated SS liner in, but am thinking I'm going to have a problem with dimensions.

Any ideas, or could a liner be squeezed in?

what kind of install are we talkin'? are you installing thru a fireplace or tying into an existing thimble?

summit said:
what kind of install are we talkin'? are you installing thru a fireplace or tying into an existing thimble?

Through a fireplace into rear facing exit of the Oslo.

Can you buy ovalized liner or is that a job for me?

legal??yes!, ever hear of THERMIX by homesaver?? check it out ul1777zeroclearance insulator

really no insulation is required if the clay chimney liner was installed properly, and is in good condition.
insulating will help performance and maint issues though
edit, ovalized pipe can be made or purchased pre ovalized

It will be hard enough getting a 6" liner down since the outside diameter of the 6" liner is really about 6 1/4" . Even a 5.5" with insulation would be very tight. Options could be either knocking out the tiles and installing 6" insulation wrap or insulation pour, or leave the tiles in and install a 5.5" liner with poured insulation which would be cheaper. I have the same diameter chimney and went with the 5.5" with no insulation since the clay tiles were in great shape. You can also buy ovalized 6".

I'm dealing with the same issue, my clay liner has some issues(a few gaps and small cracks) or I would just be dropping an un-insulated ss flex liner down it. I'm going to either try an oval or rectangular liner and either pour or wrap the insulation. I'm just waiting for my money tree to re-grow a few bucks. :)

cycloptic pendulum said:
thanx but what about vermiculite-like non-hardening stuff

Nothing has changed from the last two times you asked about it. It is still legal.

cycloptic pendulum said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
legal??yes!, ever hear of THERMIX by homesaver?? check it out ul1777zeroclearance insulator

really no insulation is required if the clay chimney liner was installed properly, and is in good condition.

yes, that is what thermix is...

cycloptic pendulum said:
BrotherBart said:
cycloptic pendulum said:

Nothing has changed from the last two times you asked about it. It is still legal.
must make a note unless your info is wrong,still collecting opinions,asked elk but no reply
so why bother pour a hardened lliner when day may come when liner needs to be replaced?

no, our info is correct! if you dont believ us pros, how about this??
http://www.protechinfo.com/mc_images/category/45/2049.pdf

cycloptic pendulum said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
cycloptic pendulum said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:

yes, that is what thermix is...
thermix hardens & bonds. loose vermiculite doesnt. so is the loose vermiculite permitted as liner insulation?
Only if it comes in a package that says it is ul 1777 listed. average gardening shop vermiculite has no label as far as i know

cycloptic pendulum said:
loose insulation around liner allows possibility of pouring & draining into liner if liner develops a hole from chimneyfire or whatever & this is my main question as it pertains to code. if loose insulation is allowed, thermix hardening seems hassle if liner ever needs replacement.

It is a safety feature. If you see a firebox full of vermiculite it is nature's way of telling you you have a hole in the liner. For extra safety since the firebox is packed full of the stuff you can't start a fire until you fix it. :mad:

Why Elk. Why not read the Intertek approved manual that comes with a new Hearthstone Equinox:

"Flue liner options:

Tile - minimum wall thickness of 5/8" (16 mm)

Tile - installed with refractory mortar

Tile - at least 1" (25 mm) air space around liner

Stainless steel - UL listed 8” diameter

Stainless steel - fill space around liner with vermiculite
(keeps liner warmer for better performance)

Ensure an equivalent flue liner is a listed chimney"

as far as i can tell, nfpa 211 doesn't adress this insulating issue. any non-combustible material should be suitable

as with any of these codes, the inspector is the one "Interpreting" these codes

i dont have a copy of ul 1777, anybody have a copy??

CarbonNeutral said:
summit said:

Through a fireplace into rear facing exit of the Oslo.

Can you buy ovalized liner or is that a job for me?

you can get preovalized liner, but it is more $... unless this is an outside chimney, i would not bother insulating it if there is a clay tile liner already in it, and the chimney isn;t like 200 years old with wooden beams mortared into it, then you should be fine, from a DIY standpoint by ovalaing a 6" liner just enough to squeeze her thru is the least expensive rout, and can be completed from chim to to stove connection in a couple hrs. If it is an outside chimney, getting the tiles smashed out would be the best route to insulating a liner for it; but you lose the open fireplace 4ever as a stand alone functional thing without the stove (should you ever sell, and the new buyer does not want your stove and liner, or you want to take them with you when you move.) Either way, give it a go on your own just ovaling a liner, if it doesn't work well, then call in the pros. if it does, you have saved yourself some $.

summit said:
you can get preovalized liner, but it is more $... unless this is an outside chimney, i would not bother insulating it if there is a clay tile liner already in it.

I assume this is if the clay liner is in good shape with no gaps or cracks?

rdust said:
summit said:
you can get preovalized liner, but it is more $... unless this is an outside chimney, i would not bother insulating it if there is a clay tile liner already in it.

I assume this is if the clay liner is in good shape with no gaps or cracks?

That is what I assumed with both of mine. :coolsmirk:

The liner will be from 1967, not that that really matters. It is an outside chimney. I'm thinking I'll put in a 6" non-insulated, see how the draft is in the in middle of winter, insulate with pour in stuff if necessary....

What about Simson Dura liner, http://www.duravent.com/pdf/catalogs/duraliner09.pdf
I considered it for relining my chimney, (it's about the same size as yours). I ended up not going with it as I decided to install a
new Class A in a different location.

According to the catalog the outside dimensions are 4 3/4 X 7 3/4 so it should fit in your chimney. Rated for 0 clearance.
Probably not too hard for a DIY install.

WES999 said:
What about Simson Dura liner, http://www.duravent.com/pdf/catalogs/duraliner09.pdf
I considered it for relining my chimney, (it's about the same size as yours). I ended up not going with it as I decided to install a
new Class A in a different location.

According to the catalog the outside dimensions are 4 3/4 X 7 3/4 so it should fit in your chimney. Rated for 0 clearance.
Probably not too hard for a DIY install.

Awesome, awesome, awesome. This seems perfect - while they don't give cross-sectional area, some rough calculations on external dimensions put it about 32 sq inches, compared to 28.2 sq inches for 6" diameter. This is well within the "not being twice as large a cross-sectional area for outside chimneys", and if I had the internal dimensions I would assume it puts it at pretty much 28 sq inches, almost like they designed it like that.....

Status
Not open for further replies.