Clean chimney or not to clean chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Insco2

Nov 4, 2016
Ohio
i feel I read somewhere you should clean the clay tile liner before installing a ss liner. I plan to use .5" of insulation which should offer 0 clearence. Should I slam it in. What did you guys do?

i feel I read somewhere you should clean the clay tile liner before installing a ss liner. I plan to use .5" of insulation which should offer 0 clearence. Should I slam it in. What did you guys do?
yes it absolutely needs to be clean before you line it

Absolutely yes. Clean it very thoroughly and if this is a fireplace don't forget the smokeshelf.

Yes, it can be if you are thorough.

Most definitely clean it . . . a) it may make things easier to install the liner depending on the level of creosote and b) no sense having a potential fuel source next to a hot exhaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.