Clean chimney UP or Down ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robebcan

Nov 19, 2013
CT
I have a brand new Drolet HT2000 that I ran cool initially, producing lots of creosote in the chimney. Can I safely brush the stuff DOWN to the stove or do I have to dismantle the stove pipe and collect the debris above the stove. The second option is MUCH more difficult and messy for me, due to the installation geometry, but the baffeling in the stove will probably prevent the stop the stuff from dropping into the firebox in the first option, right ? I've been burning packages of Rutland Creosote remover to prepare the chimney for cleaning. Can I brush down to the stove and hope to safely burn it off ? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

Can I safely brush the stuff DOWN to the stove

That's what I do. I don't know your stove, but if you remove the baffle to prepare a clear shot into the stove, you should be able to just brush it on down. Don't let it collect on the baffle or anything.

Edit: Just to be sure you avoid the creosote problem in the future, can you tell us about your wood supply? Inadequate dryness of the wood is the prime cause of creosote.

Last edited:
You can brush down, we clean top down on ours. HOWEVER, you'll need to get the bricks/baffle out so the ash/creosote falls into the stove, then clean that out. You don't want to leave it sitting on top of it.

If you're using a brush and rods, tie a small rope to the brush in case it comes off the rod (so you can pull it out with the rope). Otherwise you'll be doing a lot of cursing and taking apart of piping.

If you're using a brush and rods, tie a small rope to the brush in case it comes off the rod (so you can pull it out with the rope). Otherwise you'll be doing a lot of cursing and taking apart of piping.
Good idea. Another option if you haven't bought anything yet, is the Soot Eater. A lot of us use that and like it. It's arguably easier to use than the brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.