1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Clean that Glass...

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by G-rott, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-rott

G-rott Member

Loc:
    Petoskey Michigan
    It's time to realy get the glass in the stove clean. Any tricks out there?

The stove is room temprature and I'm ready to go.

I do use the ash and newsprint trick when the stove is still warm and I'm trying to keep it clean, like when I stoke the fire in the morning. But know it's ready for a real scrub down.

Garett

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BigV

BigV Member

Loc:
    Akron, OH
    I use Windex, then follow-up with a razor style 3” scrapper to get the built up stuff off. Then use the Windex again and the window is clean as new.
  3. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    A lot of the commercial products work pretty well. I have the Rutland version and it doesn't do a bad job at all imo.
  4. wtyamamoto

wtyamamoto New Member

Loc:
    Southern NH
    Rutland makes a cream cleaner that also has silicones in it. It works quite well to clean - better than the spray cleaners on built up muck. The silicone leaves a slick surface like if you just waxed your car. The slick surface helps make future cleanings a lot easier. I found it at HD.
  5. menchhofer

menchhofer Member

Loc:
    Indiana
    I just buy some cheap oven cleaner ($1) a can and use it. Works well using newspaper to clean the glass. Been doing this way for years.
  6. Dunadan

Dunadan New Member

Loc:
    Holland Patent, NY
    Robbie posted a recipe in the thread here. Since it was long thread, here's the key post -

I tried this over the weekend and it worked perfectly. Took off the thin build-up with almost no effort and took off some real thick build-up with after a few applications.

I'm too new to have tried anything else.
  7. Burn-1

Burn-1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    This stuff works great. It's designed for ceramic glass

Weiman Glass Cooktoop Cleaner

I think we got it from Market Basket here in NH but Target has it too.
  8. Webwidow

Webwidow Member

Loc:
    Western MA.
    In our shop we used and sold Speedy White to clean stove glass.It worked like a charm. Put away your razor blades, speedy white does the job.

http://www.speedywhite.com/
  9. junksta

junksta New Member

Loc:
    Pinedale, AZ Elev. 6400'
    I found that the cheap orange citrus cleaner you can get at dollar stores works good.
  10. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    But Webwidow, I thought you hated the smell of smoke and creosote. How would you know how the glass cleaner works. Didn't ya dump that job on Craig?
  11. precaud

precaud Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sunny New Mexico
    White vinegar works well. So does ammonia. Both are quite cheap.
  12. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I use spray 9 Fireview dissolves the stuff and smells like windex.Really works great, but glass needs to be nothing more than warm. Mostly I just use water.
  13. Webwidow

Webwidow Member

Loc:
    Western MA.
    Oh the famous "quicky" load.

[/quote]But Webwidow, I thought you hated the smell of smoke and creosote. How would you know how the glass cleaner works. Didn't ya dump that job on Craig?[/quote]

I only dislike the smell of smoke if the stove tender does not open the by-pass damper prior to loading. Hence the house becomes the chimney. You know how it goes..."but honey it was only one log, but honey I only needed to poke around a minute".

I know some of you are guilty of this as well. It is known as the quicky load. hahaha
  14. Rhone

Rhone Minister of Fire

I've tried the oven cleaner, vinegar, ash & newspaper, nothing worked like Rutland's Hearth & Grill Conditioning Glass and it's so cheap and makes the next cleaning much easier. It even works on the really thick black stuff. No matter what you try, it's going to take elbow grease but that polish sure works good.

I went through half a bottle last year, it being $6.00 a bottle it doesn't make a lot of sense to bother with other products IMHO. They also make a product called "White Off", don't get that it's for gas appliances.
  15. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    I have to put in a vote for "castrol super clean" and wipe down with newspaper. Spray it on, the crud melts right off. I don't usually have a problem during the hard burning days of winter. The glass keeps itself pretty clean. But during the lazy fires of autumn and spring, it tends to smoke up a bit.

I also noticed a product mentioned earlier that contained silicone for easier second cleanings. I wonder if a product like Rain-X would provide similar protection? I feel an experiment coming on.

Corey
  16. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I have to go with Rhonemas on this one. That stuff really works great. It is usually available at most stove shops and also hardware stores around here. Once every 2 weeks I clean the glass, even if it doesn't need it. I do have to admit, the glass on my stove stays pretty clean all by itself though.
  17. suematteva

suematteva New Member

Loc:
    Rutland, VT//Southern Quebec
    white vinegar and water...almost wrote white wine...that too but down the gullet!
  18. Gibbonboy

Gibbonboy New Member

Another vote for the Rutland cleaner, I only use it very occaisionally, my glass stays fairly clean, except in the corners.
  19. tradergordo

tradergordo Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Phoenixville, PA
    Don't know if its the same, but I was wondering about the cheap ($1) orange goop hand cleaner stuff. I have some already (haven't tried it on stove). Seems perfect for the job though and its all natural, no chemicals, and smells good. I will try it tonight. Harbor Freight sells it.

EDIT: It worked better than I could have imagined - took everything off with as little effort as possible. Much better than windex and a razor (I tried that the last time). The product I have is called "GOJO".

p.s. Not sure if its good to use products with pumice though, some say it can scratch the glass (ceramic really). I did not notice any scratches though.
  20. Greg123

Greg123 New Member

Loc:
    WNY
    I use a wood stove glass cleaner from a company called imperial group. You spray it on the glass wait 2 min, and wipe it off with a damp cloth; it cleans the glass like new.
  21. G-rott

G-rott Member

Loc:
    Petoskey Michigan
    Thanks for all the help, any other tips or tricks are welcome.

Looks like it's time to get started.

And yes it is the thick bottom and corners I'm about to attack.

Garett
  22. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Rutland. I got a bottle a year ago last August and it is still 95% full. It does help with soot build up on the glass and seems to take it off lickety split.
  23. cogger

cogger Member

Yep. Just did mine a few min ago. Better when wet. Like wet sanding paint on a car.
  24. kkesler

kkesler Member

Loc:
    Winder, Ga
    Ok. Wow. Like you I tried all kinds of stuff, the vinegar/ash, spray cleaners, etc. and nothing comes close this stuff. Took maybe a minute to get the door really clean.

Thanks!
  25. senorFrog

senorFrog New Member

I've been using Rutland WHITE-OFF. Works great. Glass clean in about two seconds.

http://www.rutland.com/565/565.htm

I'd like to try the Rutland HEARTH & GRILL CONDITIONING GLASS CLEANER for a comparison.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.