Clean Windows = Warmer House?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Someone stumbled on a topic here! Many stove manuals state that a clean surface radiates more heat than a dirty one. So, my answer is yes. Clean windows=Warmer house. But that's just because I haven't read the entire thread. Maybe my mind will change. Nah! I'l just stick to how it feels. Warmer with clean glass.

Good thread guys, I will read it in its entirety at some point.

PyMS, Is that you at the tiller of an outboard boat? Fishing, maybe? I have now idea where Targhee is. For that matter MF. ID doesn't help me either.

Just curious, I have a small outboard and enjoy lake fishing on a warm spring morning a lot better than putting wood in my Q4100I, class clean or not.

Jerry_NJ said:
PyMS, Is that you at the tiller of an outboard boat? Fishing, maybe? I have now idea where Targhee is. For that matter MF. ID doesn't help me either.

Just curious, I have a small outboard and enjoy lake fishing on a warm spring morning a lot better than putting wood in my Q4100I, class clean or not.

Yep, Jerry, that's me. We just moved into a new log home in Targhee National Forest, Idaho. Since we live about 7 miles from the nearest town (Irwin) and on the lake side of the Palisades Dam, I thought it would be less confusing to put Targhee NF in my signature than to pretend that we live in Irwin. Maybe I should just say Palisades Lake, ID to help people locate us in their minds.

I am really looking forward to start fishing on the lake, come Spring, and therefore chose an avatar with me driving a dinghy. The picture, however, was taken a few years ago on the other side of the planet (when my wife and I were still cruising the South Pacific) that's why the water is a bit brighter blue than we get to see here on Palisades Lake.

Henk

Wow, this has truly been an amazing thread! All sorts of super interesting stuff on electronic, light, magnetic, and thermal theory and also one of my personal favorites (and minor from my Bachelor's Degree) Biological Psychology!!! If Milt were to workout internship opportunities I might actually apply and just cut/split/stack/load firewood for him while taking thorough notes on anything he has to share, seriously. Anyway, I have four hopefully simple questions specific to the ceramic glass in my Regency Alterra.

1st. Is the ceramic glass that is in my stove "Coated" as some other types of regular glass apparently are or is it only ceramic glass without any additional application/s of material/s?

2nd. Based on the answer above, if it is coated, is that on the inside or the outside face? If it is on the inside face is it possible/probable to wear that off over time?

3rd. Is it okay in general to use the method of dipping a damp rag into the ashes to clean ceramic glass or is that only the method for cleaning regular glass? Right now I'm using Rutland "Fireplace Glass Cleaner" Liquid (which takes off majority of stuff which wasn't really resistant) I then use the Rutland "White Off" Cream to get the rest. I'm completely cleaning the glass before each fire for the time being as I'm still in seasoning mode for the stove and learning mode for myself. Even though these products work perfectly well as others here offered in other threads why pay for something the stove gives you!?!

4th. I know from many folks here it is okay to use the IR thermometers on the glass whether it is regular glass or ceramic glass BUT is it also okay if one's IR thermometer has the laser to assist with aiming? My thermometer is the Fluke 561 and I've always wondered whether the laser that's on that meter would manage to hurt the ceramic glass in any way whatsoever? I know that sounds sort of hyper to ask about but since my stove is so new I'd rather ask the stupid stuff now before I have a chance to screw something up later!

Thanks folks, this forum continues to impress the helloutof me in many ways!!!

turbocruiser said:
Wow, this has truly been an amazing thread! All sorts of super interesting stuff on electronic, light, magnetic, and thermal theory and also one of my personal favorites (and minor from my Bachelor's Degree) Biological Psychology!!! If Milt were to workout internship opportunities I might actually apply and just cut/split/stack/load firewood for him while taking thorough notes on anything he has to share, seriously. Anyway, I have four hopefully simple questions specific to the ceramic glass in my Regency Alterra.

1st. Is the ceramic glass that is in my stove "Coated" as some other types of regular glass apparently are or is it only ceramic glass without any additional application/s of material/s? I'm not sure about the answer to this question.

2nd. Based on the answer above, if it is coated, is that on the inside or the outside face? If it is on the inside face is it possible/probable to wear that off over time? I'm also unsure about the answer to this question . . . but I suspect that the wear factor is not a real issue.

3rd. Is it okay in general to use the method of dipping a damp rag into the ashes to clean ceramic glass or is that only the method for cleaning regular glass? I think you should be fine doing the damp rag and ash tip . . . although I will tell you that one thing I picked up last year was that if you are burning properly at the right temps with well seasoned wood you shouldn't end up with a lot of baked on gunk -- now I most often only need to use a damp rag without any ash to clean the "glass." Right now I'm using Rutland "Fireplace Glass Cleaner" Liquid (which takes off majority of stuff which wasn't really resistant) I then use the Rutland "White Off" Cream to get the rest. I'm completely cleaning the glass before each fire for the time being as I'm still in seasoning mode for the stove and learning mode for myself. Even though these products work perfectly well as others here offered in other threads why pay for something the stove gives you!?!

4th. I know from many folks here it is okay to use the IR thermometers on the glass whether it is regular glass or ceramic glass BUT is it also okay if one's IR thermometer has the laser to assist with aiming? My thermometer is the Fluke 561 and I've always wondered whether the laser that's on that meter would manage to hurt the ceramic glass in any way whatsoever? I know that sounds sort of hyper to ask about but since my stove is so new I'd rather ask the stupid stuff now before I have a chance to screw something up later! I doubt the laser would do anything to the glass or coating . . . but I probably wouldn't aim the laser towards any aircraft flying overhead or around any law enforcement officers.

firefighterjake said:
turbocruiser said:

1st. Is the ceramic glass that is in my stove "Coated" as some other types of regular glass apparently are or is it only ceramic glass without any additional application/s of material/s? I'm not sure about the answer to this question.

2nd. Based on the answer above, if it is coated, is that on the inside or the outside face? If it is on the inside face is it possible/probable to wear that off over time? I'm also unsure about the answer to this question . . . but I suspect that the wear factor is not a real issue.

3rd. Is it okay in general to use the method of dipping a damp rag into the ashes to clean ceramic glass or is that only the method for cleaning regular glass? I think you should be fine doing the damp rag and ash tip . . . although I will tell you that one thing I picked up last year was that if you are burning properly at the right temps with well seasoned wood you shouldn't end up with a lot of baked on gunk -- now I most often only need to use a damp rag without any ash to clean the "glass." Right now I'm using Rutland "Fireplace Glass Cleaner" Liquid (which takes off majority of stuff which wasn't really resistant) I then use the Rutland "White Off" Cream to get the rest. I'm completely cleaning the glass before each fire for the time being as I'm still in seasoning mode for the stove and learning mode for myself. Even though these products work perfectly well as others here offered in other threads why pay for something the stove gives you!?!

4th. I know from many folks here it is okay to use the IR thermometers on the glass whether it is regular glass or ceramic glass BUT is it also okay if one's IR thermometer has the laser to assist with aiming? My thermometer is the Fluke 561 and I've always wondered whether the laser that's on that meter would manage to hurt the ceramic glass in any way whatsoever? I know that sounds sort of hyper to ask about but since my stove is so new I'd rather ask the stupid stuff now before I have a chance to screw something up later! I doubt the laser would do anything to the glass or coating . . . but I probably wouldn't aim the laser towards any aircraft flying overhead or around any law enforcement officers.

Thanks for the answers there Jake! I appreciate it. I think the main reason my stove glass gets so dirty is I'm deliberately only doing "small starter fires" at this time to "season" the stove. I'm sure it should be easier by the time that I'm really burning real loads. Would anyone have answers to the other questions here? Thanks.

turbocruiser said:
firefighterjake said:
turbocruiser said:

Thanks for the answers there Jake! I appreciate it. I think the main reason my stove glass gets so dirty is I'm deliberately only doing "small starter fires" at this time to "season" the stove. I'm sure it should be easier by the time that I'm really burning real loads. Would anyone have answers to the other questions here? Thanks.

I would advise against the damp rag and ash tip and this is why.

Where did those ashes come from? Wood right?

Where did the wood come from? Well, it grew out of the dirt, it was cut down and layed on the dirt while bucking. It likely layed on the dirt before and after being split. It has come into contact with dirt a LOT in it's life.

What is dirt? A naturally occurring abrasive.

It would only be logical to conclude that there is some amount of dirt in that ash.

That dirt will eventually scratch up your glass.

Just keep using the glass cleaner. I burned the entire season last year and didn't even go through a full $5 bottle of glass cleaner for mine. Is the clarity of your glass really worth saving $2-3 per year? I don't... I'll keep my crystal clear glass as long as I possibly can.

See that's something I never would have thought through on my own most likely and it makes perfect sense! We have some tough soil too with granite granules and sand granules all mixed and mingled. That would probably be pretty bad on our glass. Thanks for the advice there.

Regency is completely clear (no pun intended) about not allowing abrasives on the ceramic glass and both the Rutland products I purchased are specifically spec'd as "non-abrasive". Like I already wrote above, after awhile I probably won't persist with cleaning the glass between every burn so that will stretch whatever I can get out of these two bottles.

I'd still like to learn a little more from the folks here about lasers and their effect through ceramic glass and regular glass. My Fluke 561 has adjustable emissivity so I should be able to adjust for that as long as the laser isn't doing any damage to the ceramic glass. Thanks.

Yes you're right ash is an abrasive and it can scratch the glass, especially if you catch a tiny piece of coal with the fine ash. If you clean with ashes and a rag make sure it's fine ash you're using. We must also remember fine ash is like pummace almost. Some abrasives are used to polish scratches off camera lenses. Ash is more like a polishing compound. Less like sand or dirt which is coarse and will scratch.

VCBurner said:
Yes you're right ash is an abrasive and it can scratch the glass, especially if you catch a tiny piece of coal with the fine ash. If you clean with ashes and a rag make sure it's fine ash you're using. We must also remember fine ash is like pummace almost. Some abrasives are used to polish scratches off camera lenses. Ash is more like a polishing compound. Less like sand or dirt which is coarse and will scratch.

+1 . . . to the fine ash . . . and just use a wee bit.

That said . . . I still say that just a damp rag works pretty darn well most of the time minus the ash . . . I only use that if I have an area that is pretty stubborn . . . and even then sometimes I'm pretty lazy -- I'll just wait until the next fire when the secondary kicks in and the high heat burns away the mess.

Here's the deal - forget all the radiation, etc. crap.

If your glass is blackened, you ain't got good wood or your chimney is clogged and you ain't got draft and you ain't got a hot fire.

Whereas....

If the opposite is true, then you have a hot fire ripping in the stove and so naturally and logically the stove puts out more heat when the glass is clean.

;)

Bill

VCBurner said:

Understood. I think what CountryBoy was saying was "dirt" (which could contain all sorts of scratchy hard stuff like sand, granite, etc) was probably still part of the ash that I would use when cleaning the ceramic. I really think that makes perfect sense especially seeing the soil that we have here. Based on that possibility I probably won't ever use ash at all to clean the ceramic. I will say that the last two fires that I have had in the stove were slightly larger "starter" fires and the difference was dramatic in terms of what was dirty. If it stays like that or better than that, one of these bottles of cleaner could last longer than one season. Anyway thanks for the advice everyone! I'm still trying to learn about laser's effect on ceramic glass and regular glass if anyone has any words of wisdom on that topic. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.