Cleaned out the Afton bay this weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsman23

Minister of Fire
Aug 26, 2008
western southern tier of NYS
I removed the blowers from my Afton bay and the exit blower was pretty clean the room air blower was a mess!. It was covered with dust inside the squirrel cage. I removed the entire double cage with motor and took outside and cleaned it off with the compresser and oiled it up and reinstalled. It took 25 minutes to do this. the stove is so easy to work on and it cleaned up very nice. But man lots of dust in the cages.....

hey woodsman23,

Bet you felt good once its was all cleaned and tidy. Hope you treated yourself to a cold beverage when you finished. :)

You burning yet?

I did have a cold one and yes i've been burning for almost 2 weeks this am was 19 f in my neck of the woods... sat was warm at 58 and i cleaned it out. Why so much dust i wonder, we are very tidy here????

I about sure mine is from the pellets themselves. The dust is a tan color and a little sticky. I am a dumper mostly, Just open the bag and dump them in. I only screen or sift when I am testing.

I am trying to burn but its just a little here and there.

Doesnt matter how tidy you keep your house, the blades of that blower are going to pick up microscopic particles and over time you'll see a coating of dust. I cleaned my Castile insert, and had the same thing, dusty blower cage, not real bad but still dusty just the same, and I run two large hepa air cleaning units all winter long. I even notice the dust builds up on my ceiling fan blades also.. Dust particles just seem to happen. Walk across a carpet, and you stir up all kinds of particles into the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.