Cleaning a barometric draft.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HJsimpson

Burning Hunk
Apr 17, 2011
NE Indiana
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I was wondering if anyone had a way to clean creosote off a barometric draft regulator? My flue is staying clean but i have some build up on the BDR so i removed last night and soaked in soapy water overnight. It kinda worked but i cant be doing this when i start 24/7 burns. Anyone have a better solution that will work a little faster or do i need to buy a second one and just rotate while cleaning? Its not real bad but enough to throw off the setting. Also its more then likely my fault learning the new setup.
Thank you.

Could you spray it with Creo-soot spray? I would try that.

i believe it depends on if you really need one or not. if your just seeing build up on that area it suspect if you do. Do you have a really tall chimney? any draft issues that you have one?

My chimney is 31 feet tall so it is needed plus since the furnace is thermostatic controlled it is required in the manual. I also had one with my old furnace and it stayed clean but this is a complete new setup and i have done everything wrong at least once so far while learning.

Is the Cre-soot spray available in stores or is it an online only product.

I see yes a furnace would require one. have you had to adjust the weight on the flapper at all?

I pull ours off, and put a piece of foil over opening temporarily. I grab the poker and put the baro over coals which will expand and burn the creosote or I use a torch. It takes maybe 2 minutes to clean this way. The only problem is don't let it get too hot or it can warp. It may not be the proper way, but it's what I do and I've been doing it this way for years. Quick and simple. You could also try heavy duty oven cleaner which just wear gloves. The lye will break down the creosote quickly.

I clean my chimney every year. I mean I clean it clean it. I remove the SS cap and take it to the ground and make it shine like new inside and out. I use carb cleaner mostly to cut the creosote. Look at chemicals intended to remove the black junk from the stove windows too. Things with ammonia work too like windex.

You can't really hurt the BDR. Look in your garage for solvents and try them. When you find the right chemical, the creo will wash right off. Be warned, it will kill your grass too.

Baro dampers are ridiculous on stoves but in a furnace application they make a little bit more sense. I think they waste room air and also feed a chimney fire with a big source of oxy for burning.

Yes i had to adjust the weight a couple of time in the beginning. I check every couple of days with a manometer and after i cleaned it i had to readjust then.
Thanks laynes because that was the first thing i thought of doing using a propane torch. How often do you clean yours?

Brake cleaner spray works great on lots of stuff. And leaves no residue

I cleaned ours for the first time the other day after almost 2 months. There was just a thin film from many cold start fires. It shouldn't need it when we go to 24/7 burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.