Cleaning and my special startup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leadfoot

Dec 30, 2009
S.E. Oklahoma
I've been cleaning the ash from the stove after every bag or so and hook up the leaf blower (learned here) about 3 times so far.
Now heres the part where I'll bet I get spanked. I tried the wax cardboard, I don't like it. Seeing how I have plenty of 192 proof shine made in my own distillery in my reflux still I use that. I take a small bowl whe a hand full of pellets and add a little shine, toss em around and throw em in the pot. Makes a purdy blue flame and they start up quick with no smoke what so ever from the fluid :) I tried some 120 proof and it works but not a well as the 192, I also tried charcoal fluid but it just stinks.

Leadfoot said:
I've been cleaning the ash from the stove after every bag or so and hook up the leaf blower (learned here) about 3 times so far...........I tried the wax cardboard, I don't like it.

OK, first of all, cleaning the stove everyday (unless you have terrible pellets) is way overkill, IMO. Once every 4-5 days or so should be doable easily. And the leafblower 3 times already also seems to be a lot. Most people use that after a ton or more.

As for the wax cardboard, you lost me on that one.........

Sounds like a good starter program Leadfoot. I wonder if you could ship a gallon or so of it up to me in Canada so I can try it. I might even have a taste while I'm waiting for the fire to get going good.

Just so the border police don't get suspicious label it "pellet fire starter" I'm sure they won't suspect anything.

Your Canadian friend.

The wax cardboard is called Meeco's red devil squares.
I was thinking it's a little overkill on the cleaning but the new hasn't worn off yet :)

Scoop said:
Sounds like a good starter program Leadfoot. I wonder if you could ship a gallon or so of it up to me in Canada so I can try it. I might even have a taste while I'm waiting for the fire to get going good.

'Just so the border police don't get suspicious label it "pellet fire starter" I'm sure they won't suspect an ytghing.

Your Canadian friend.

LOL!
I have shipped some home made wine to the Smokey Mts. and got some jelly sent back but never shipped any "starting fluid" Maybe the mason jar wouldn't raise any flags. :)

Leadfoot said:
I've been cleaning the ash from the stove after every bag or so and hook up the leaf blower (learned here) about 3 times so far.
Now heres the part where I'll bet I get spanked. I tried the wax cardboard, I don't like it. Seeing how I have plenty of 192 proof shine made in my own distillery in my reflux still I use that. I take a small bowl whe a hand full of pellets and add a little shine, toss em around and throw em in the pot. Makes a purdy blue flame and they start up quick with no smoke what so ever from the fluid :) I tried some 120 proof and it works but not a well as the 192, I also tried charcoal fluid but it just stinks.

You clean your stove everyday? That's a bit much, I only clean mine every 2 weeks.
You must be using PA Pellets!

I started my stove with with pellets soaked in 91% isopropyl one year when I ran out of the jellied stuff... Your stuff is just a finer quality "starter fluid"

CygnusX1 said:
Leadfoot said:

You clean your stove everyday? That's a bit much, I only clean mine every 2 weeks.
You must be using PA Pellets!

With a startup routine like that, I'd clean mine 8 - 10 times a day.

hehe, I wouldn't waste the 192 proof on the dang stove!
Get some cheap gel hand sanitizer. I've never tried it
cuz I have auto ignite but the folks here say it works a treat.

Leadfoot said:
I was thinking it's a little overkill on the cleaning but the new hasn't worn off yet :)

I suspect it won't wear off either if you take a little "tug" from the starter. Great idea! I'm getting ready to go clean mine now. I'm taking a Bud Light with me just in case there's a hot ember or something. It's not that I "want" to drink, but it's just simply safer this way!!! :)
:)

Leadfoot said:

120 proof is only 60 % alcohol. I have plenty of Grappa that I could use too but I see it sells at $60 a pint bottle so I`ll stick to Wal Marts $2.49 , (91%) rubbing alcohol and save my grappa for more enjoyable medicinal purposes..

caledoniacars said:
Leadfoot said:

I suspect it won't wear off either if you take a little "tug" from the starter. Great idea! I'm getting ready to go clean mine now. I'm taking a Bud Light with me just in case there's a hot ember or something. It's not that I "want" to drink, but it's just simply safer this way!!! :)
:)

Thats the whole idea, I feel starter fluid should be tested for purity so a little pull off the jar can verify a good or bad ignition. Some jars require more testing than others just to be sure. After the taste test and I feeling younger and all is well in the world. I know my stove will kick off like a skud missile.
Seems like sound logic to me anyway. Besides the wax cardboard and that hand jell from wallie world just plane taste bad.

I had to go through this same thing with my wife, wanting to know why I was drinking the starter fluid. I had to explain to her as well that I not drinking but analyzing. This is very scientific stuff woman! She also didn't know used stoves that had been moved from another house must be restarted 8 or 10 times a day. Geeez, she just didnt understand stove etiquette but shes learning now.

I think after a while you will forget if you cleaned or not and then there is another reason to clean it!

Do Pellet stoves need igniter fluid? just asking since i have never used it?

KatWill said:
Do Pellet stoves need igniter fluid? just asking since i have never used it?

Only if you have a manual start stove that doesn't have an ignitor.

ok i havnt been here long but i searched around to find out what using a leaf blower to clean the sove is for? anyone have a link to it or can you explain? thank you in advance.
Rick

Myself, I use a self igniting propane torch. Just need to keep the door cracked open a little. The torch tank rests on the hearth and aims directly at the firepot. Within a minute the pellets have started, remove the torch and close the door.

A tank cost's about $3 and lasts a long time.

Richard

Phatty said:
ok i havnt been here long but i searched around to find out what using a leaf blower to clean the sove is for? anyone have a link to it or can you explain? thank you in advance.
Rick

Its basically attaching the vacuum end of a a gas powered leaf blower to your outside vent to suck all the ash and dust from areas you don't reach in a normal cleaning. If you just type leaf blower in the search field at the top of this page you will get lots of info. I use a 10 Gallon Shop Vac to do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.