Cleaning Buck insert SS liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crater22

Burning Hunk
Nov 23, 2014
brookville, indiana
Will probably sound stupid, but how do I clean out the bend in the liner where it attaches to the insert? Just cleaned out the liner from top down and have what appears to me to be a lot of soot (sic). I will send pictures later for your comments. Meanwhile, I was unable to totally clean out the liner due to the a slight bend in the liner where it attaches to the insert. I have removed the cat but still not a lot of room to really get up into the liner from the bottom up. Hope this makes sense and would appreciate any ideas.

Many thanks in advance.

I think you could slide the bypass open and feed a vacuum cleaner hose up there. You damn near have to stick your head and a shoulder in the box to do it, though. Might be tough if you are claustrophobic. :oops:
I need to clean out the Buck as well. I was thinking I would put a shop towel up through the bypass and hang it off the underside of the stove top with a couple magnets, like a wall, just forward of the flue exit. That way, I think most of the sweepings would fall into the firebox. Not that it's a big deal the other way...I think I could also get most of it off the bypass plate deck (stove top) with a vacuum, or just sweep it off with my hand. You don't have to worry about dusting the bypass gasket, since there is none. :cool:

Just cleaned out the liner from top down and have what appears to me to be a lot of soot (sic). I will send pictures later for your comments. Meanwhile, I was unable to totally clean out the liner due to the a slight bend in the liner where it attaches to the insert.
So you have an elbow on the liner, near where it goes into the stove? I have a 15% there so I wouldn't expect much soot at all to be able to hang up at that corner. Did you see the soot hanging up from the top, with a flashlight? Or why do you suspect there is soot that hasn't fallen all the way into the firebox?

If you have an elbow close to the flue exit, it should be harder to push the brush down when you get to that point, but you should be able to push the brush a little further to be sure that the soot makes it into the firebox.

Woody, my first time cleaning a chimney. Just felt the brush stop and could not see to the bottom with a flashlight so I just assumed that there would be some there. You are correct again, there was none, just some on the stove top which I was able to get with a flexable shop vac hose. Here is some pictures of what I got out from the cleaning. I was expecting black creo but this is all a brown ash product. Did I do something wrong with my burning style (again). I still cannot get the burn the right way. Anyway, here are some pictures.

I was expecting black creo but this is all a brown ash product.
Brown is better than black. I don't even think the brown dusty stuff would burn. So how much do you think you got, total? I got at least a quart, and some was the black, flaky stuff. I attribute that to the fact the there is maybe 6' of brick chimney exposed above the roof line, so the liner cools more up there and there are more deposits. Before brushing I looked down the liner with a flashlight, and could see that most of the creo was in the top section where the liner cools. Below that it looks pretty clean, so I don't think I have any cause for concern.

Well, it is not working for me. I will grab a beer and keep trying.
If you can locate the image file on your computer (that you have saved from your camera,) you can hold down a left-click on the file and drag it to copy it into the reply box.
Not sure if the beer will help or not. If it's a beer, maybe.;lol

Last edited:
If you can locate the image file on your computer (that you have saved from your camera,) you can hold down a left-click on the file and drag it to copy it into the reply box.
Not sure if the beer will help or not. If it's a beer, maybe.;lol

Will keep trying with the pictures, but meanwhile I would guess I have about 3 cups of Ash. No black flaky stuff at all. Makes me feel better. Really appreciate your help as always.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.