Cleaning Creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen44

Jul 24, 2008
Danville VA
from inside an OWB. So because I use my OWB all year for DHW - and burn mainly pine - the inside of my OWB (not the stack) has a good thick coating of gooey creosote.

I have a friend who says to spray (using a garden sprayer) diesel oil all over the inside and then light a very hot (cardboard ??) fire and this will burn off the creosote - .

So my questions is - is he right and will it harm anything. ?

(If it matters the OWB is a Taylor 750 and is 200' from nearest building.)

Thanks for your views - Stephen

I don't know if spraying diesel oil is common but I know of no mfg that recommends it in their solid fuel device. I have seen boiler furnaces that were not properly purged of DO fumes literally blow the casings out. It can be a tremendous explosion. I can't imagine lighting something like that in a confined space. It may work 99 out of 100 times. If it did work the fire could get very hot if/when the cresoste ignites. Who knows if any damage can occur. If your willing to try it get your friend to sign a release and let him have at it.

I would be interested in what others have to say about this one.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.