Cleaning Gloves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mschenkel

Jan 3, 2009
Western NY
I have a small wood stove, and inevitably I sometimes get my wood stove gloves very dirty. Does anyone have any secret tips on cleaning these (i.e. removing black soot).

nope it's part of the job - welders gloves can be had for about $3.00 so if your get dirty just be new ones - me i'm using the same pair for the last three years as i don't care what they look like (only use the right one anyway) as long as my hand are protected

Just accept the fact that they will get some black on them. They have a dirty job to do all the time and will perform for quite some time even without cleaning. Ours lay right by the firebox door and we never give them a second glance but look at it as part of the wood heating scene.

Thanks. Not necessarily the aesthetics I was concerned with, but that day when you happen to be wearing a white sure and go to stoke the fire.

I've only been burning wood for about three months now and always though stove gloves were for whimps; at least until I earned my first stove scar last night from an air tube. Yup, those things do get a bit warm; gloves on the "got to have" list now.

Mark, if you have a Tandy or Leather Factory store near you, they should have a couple of products but I'm not sure how good of a job they would do for this type of cleaning. However, they just might do the trick too.

Look for Lexol Leather cleaner (comes in 6-7 oz bottles around $10) or Fiebing's Cleaner & Conditioner. This is the one I usually use on leather. It comes in an 8 oz bottle for around $5.00.

Tandy/Leather Factory has a web page but I've not had too good of luck with it. If nothing else you can get a list of their stores and an 800 number.

Another source, where I do most buying, is Hide Crafter Leather out of Fort Worth, TX. 888-263-5277

All in one conditioner & cleaner.

02618.jpg

http://www.sstack.com/shopping/prod...DUCT&iMainCat=133&iSubCat=150&iProductID=1205

It can restore a dried out saddle to brilliance. Why not gloves?

I washed mine in the washing machine (I had poison ivy, and thought it was on those gloves also, so burn em or wash em, let them air dry). They came out of wash too tight, but have loosed up nicely. I wouldn't do it too often, but mine took the one wash fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.