1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Cleaning my pipes?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by crausch, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crausch

crausch New Member

Loc:
    Littlestown, PA
    This is my first year burning so my question is for the end of the burning season. After reading some posts and seeing some various photos of stove exhausts, I might be a little confused about what to expect in my vent pipe at the end of the year when I go to clean it? I have seen pictures with some heavy ash soot and heard mention of creosote. When I bought my stove, my ignorance led me to believe that pellet stove emissions would be very clean.

When I got my pellet stove, I gave my son all my wood stove tools (shovel, poker, tongs, etc.) and my 6 and 8" chimney brush along with thirty foot of rod. I have to laugh because I now have on order a cute little 3" round brush x 20' cable that all coils up into a small pack. My thought was I would just run this through the vent pipe a couple times. Hopefully requiring very little effort.

Is this all I need to do or will the cleaning be more intense?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    Going into year #4 and over 10 tons later I've never seen
    a drop of creosote in the pipes. I run the brush all the way
    up (15+ ft) and down a few times until no more ash falls,
    then I vac it up and I"m done.
  3. crausch

crausch New Member

Loc:
    Littlestown, PA
    That is what I was expecting. I guess some of these pictures I've seen are just from some gross neglect.
  4. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    Fly ash is the biggest problem. Just keep an eye on it.

Eric
  5. crausch

crausch New Member

Loc:
    Littlestown, PA
    Ok, thanks for the responses. I feel much better about what to expect come cleaning time. I just checked FedEx and my cleaning brush is being delivered today from NorthlineExpress.com, so I should be all set to go at cleaning time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.