cleaning out my eko 60 and....................................

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cvanhat

Jul 3, 2008
upstate ny
cleaning out my eko 60 and shutting it down for the summer. i found a large buildup of hard cresote in the top chamber on both the front and back wall o top of the fire brick. is this normal??? it varies from 1-3 inches thick and is on both front and back walls, but only goes up the wall a couple inches. we never let our fire go out, and i try to stir everything up a couple times a week but the front wall is impossible to get to. anyone else have this????

I haven't had this but I'm using storage so my boiler gets shut down all the time so I can clean it out of ashes every time I restart. I have noticed when I'm getting ready to restart that the ashes are hard to get out of the placed that your describing so I would guess that as you never shut down, the front and back are allot harder to get a tool in these places to stir the ashes up and its built up. Is the bottom chamber walls and door white or black? White is a good indication of a supper hot burn. Is the chimney clean or do you have some creosote on the walls? I would just scape all that out and shut down.

I get it in my EKO40 and it will contribute to bridging so I just try to keep it under control when the fire gets low. Dry wood helps reduce it but will not prevent it especially when there is a lot of idling involved.

Yea, That caked stuff. It's normal after a lot of back to back firing, especially with wood less than perfect. I find keeping that cleaned out leads to a better burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.