1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

cleaning plate exchanger

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by nealj, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogwood

dogwood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western VA
    That's what I am doing MNBobcat. My water on the the Boiler side is already softened so I do't need it there for that. Your needs might be different. I am going to put a strainer of some sort on the flat plate's boiler input side to keep any crud from getting through and clogging the plates. If I cheap out, a wye strainer, if not a Jomar filter valve like the one I just got to put after my storage tank's outlet to catch wayward crud from it's previous life from getting into the system. Those two Webstone valves just arrived a week or two ago from PexSupply.

Mike

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MNBobcat

MNBobcat Member

Loc:
    Minnesota
    Mike,

I have a whole house water filter that filters the potable water before it goes into the DHW. I also have a water softener and I assume the water going into the two 80 gallon off-peak electric hot water heaters is softened.

I have an outdoor wood boiler for which I was planning on installing a Y-strainer on the source coming into the house and before it goes to the DHW.

I guess I'm not sure if scale would build up in the plate heat exchanger on the boiler side or the DHW side? It sounded like others were flushing the DHW side. I don't know....maybe I should install 4 flush valves and then I'm covered?
  3. dogwood

dogwood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western VA
    Your guess is good as mine on that score. Maybe someone with more knowledge could give you a more credible answer. Don't see how you could go wrong with four of them. At worst it would be overkill and those valves aren't overly expensive anyway.

Mike
  4. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    I agree, 4 valves might be overkill, but wouldn't hurt anything... I think the theory behind just doing the DHW side is that the boiler side is always just circulating the same water through the system over and over... Whatever is in it will deposit out pretty quickly if it's going to, as the system stabilizes, and then there would be no further buildup... OTOH, the DHW side is always going to be seeing "new" water, and thus each gallon of new water would make it's tiny deposit, and those deposits are what would add up over time...

Just my guess, but it seems like it would have to be that way...

Gooserider
  5. dogwood

dogwood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western VA
    That's exactly as I was seeing it.

Mike
  6. MNBobcat

MNBobcat Member

Loc:
    Minnesota
    I ordered 4 of them earlier today. :)
  7. dogwood

dogwood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western VA
    Bet your flat plate hx will be cleaner than mine too.

Mike
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.