Cleaning single wall stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Leckbass

Sep 22, 2017
NJ
I have a Dutchwest 2478 that I installed 4 years ago in September. I clean the double wall pipe on the outside of the house 2 times per year. I have never cleaned the 5 feet of single wall pipe that goes from the stove to the T. How often should you clean that part?

Every time you clean

Reactions: Highbeam
I used rutlamd stove cement to seal each seam when I put it together. Should I just replace the pipe or take it apart and clean the seams and the pipe

I used rutlamd stove cement to seal each seam when I put it together. Should I just replace the pipe or take it apart and clean the seams and the pipe
There is no reason to seal the joints. And no reason to replace the pipe every year. Are you cleaning the combustion chamber ect in the stove also? That needs done as well

In hindsight, I know that I don't need to seal the joints, but when I installed the pipe and tested it, it was in May and had a terrible amount of smoke leaking through the seams. This was all before I learned about draft and smaller, hotter fires etc.