Cleaning the Chimney - Did I get it right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isuphipsi1052

Nov 15, 2006
Upstate NY - Near Rochester
Yesterday was the first time that I've personally cleaned the flue on my own. Climbed onto the roof with my trusty brush and borrowed chimney rods from my fire department's ladder truck. As I removed the chimney cap, I noticed a build up of creosote in the cap (approximately 1-1 1/2" worth), with a build up of the same (or slightly more) at the very top of the flue. I inserted the brush into the flue and began working it up and down, gradually adding additional rods until the brush would go no further. I gave the flue a vigorous brushing throughout the entire process. When I was done I tied a piece of twine to my flashlight and lowered it into the liner. While I saw some staining, I saw no blockages or creosote protrusions in the line all the way to firebox.

The wife was downstairs with the shop vac, cleaning the debris as it fell into the firebox. With all that being said, did I do it right?

The wife was able to look up into the "stove pipe" on her end (it's an insert VC - Winter Warm small), she said it looked clear to her as well...

The buildup in the cap is fairly normal. Those are usually the first things to plug up.

Status
Not open for further replies.