Cleaning the door glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnhaven

Dec 30, 2014
Bellingham, WA
Still figuring out my new soapstone ( Hearthstone tribute ) stove. In the meantime I've smoked up the door glass a few times and common household glass cleaner isn't doing the job. What do you use that doesn't damage the glass?

You can buy a clener desined to clean glass on wood stoves or you can get a moist paper towel or rug and dump it in a fine ash from your stove and use that to clean.

I keep a spray bottle mixed with white vinegar & water near the stoves. Whenever I get the chance (door glass cool enough, etc) it gets a spritz, and a paper towel wipe down, then the paper towel gets tossed into the stove.

A nice hot fire usually clears up what ever residue is left.

IMHO, the vinegar is alot less caustic on the gasket cement than window cleaners, etc.

A quick wipe with a slightly damp paper towel, then a damp piece of newspaper dipped in the fine ash from your stove. It works good. I'm betting that once you learn your stove, the frequency goes way down. I seriously used to clean my glass every morning....what an annoyance. Now, it's been 10 days since I touched the glass....once you're burning at decent temps, anything on it pretty much disappears!

I've been using Weiman glass cooktop cleaner and it works very well. I had it laying around since I have a glass top range. The Rutland stove glass cleaner is supposed to work excellent also

For dust and light film a wet pc of newspaper works fine. For heavy buildup household oven cleaner works very well. Spray a bit on a paper towel then dab it where needed. 30 sec later it will wipe away.

Honestly, the best cleaner I've found is a good hot fire.

Reactions: Burnhaven
Status
Not open for further replies.