Cleaning the Motors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vinny11950

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 17, 2010
Eastern Long Island, NY
I opened up the stove ducts getting ready for the winter, and I took out the exhaust and convection motors to clean and lube them. I know they are sealed and not meant to have oil added, but the last two years they have been getting louder, especially the convection fan.

cl 006.jpg

cl 007.jpg
cl 010.jpg
last year i put some oil on the ring collar of the convection shaft above and it helped with the noise. but only for a couple of weeks. this time I am trying wurth 2000

cl 008.jpg

and i dropped some oil on the exhaust motor too. on the shaft from the top and bottom. the oil is rated for high heat and load. i will report back on the results.

cl 012.jpg

to clean them i used compressed air, tooth brush and brush.

here are some pics of the stove body opened up.

cl 014.jpg

cl 015.jpg

cl 016.jpg

here's a pic of my DIY outside air. i created a wall plate from a piece of copper found on the road. the cutting is rough, but i have grown used to it.

cl 001.jpg

cl 004.jpg

above is a pic of the inside of the stove where the convection fan sits. i didn't see it with the flash light, but the the camera flash caught the oil stains from the Pam oil i sprayed inside the burn box in the spring. how is it seeping out from the inside? or it could be somewhere else.

also found rust, as can be seen. mainly on the pellet chute which is not painted, but also from the exchange tubes above. you can see the sprinkled rust dust that fell from the top to the bottom. will brush them and paint them next year. didn't add Pam inside them. Guess I should have.

anyway, i cleaned it up a little and sprayed some High Heat Rustoleum.

Hello

Nice Pics Vinny! Good work! Some exhaust motors have a high pitched wine to them. If this is the case, then changing to a nice quiet Fasco Motor is the way to go. I changed one in my friend's Enviro EF2i and he cannot believe the difference. Some Enviros are notorious for their noisy exhaust motors. I have an American Harvest 6041 with a Winny exhaust motor I am working on right now. It runs fine by that hi pitched wine!

Anyway we did some research and found the Patented Moly FTPE formula in TufOil Lubit-8 works great to lube the motors and shafts weather they have oil plugs or not. See pic below.

I also use the Spray Dry Moly to coat the fan blades to prevent build up of pellet ash on the exhaust fan and dust on the room blower. Please Let us know how the Worth HHS 2000 works too.

I sell the lube kit on my site. See below.

Attachments

• TufoilLubeit-8.jpg
    TufoilLubeit-8.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 99
  • DryMolySpray.jpg
    DryMolySpray.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 102
thanks for the info, Don. didn't know about the Dry Moly.

great info and awesome photos

You can quiet the convection blower by taking the housing apart and filling the rubber part (has a bushing inside) with 30 weight engine oil. I did that on mine and it lasted for several months. Don't know how long it would have lasted because I ended up getting a new blower from Enviro of the updated variety. Engine oil was thicker and lasted much much, much longer than WD-40. The thicker oil is OK IMHO because it is just lubing a bushing with a small dia. and therfore doesn't offer much if any resistance to the motor.

thanks, Fly. i will try that next if the Wurth does not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.