Clearance issue with Regency I2400 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chipster96

Mar 28, 2009
Arkansas
Greetings,

A mason is building a brick chimney for a wood burning Regency I2400 insert.

The manual says 11" clearance needed from sides of the insert to combustibles, but it does not say how far to brick.

This is an issue because the mason has laid brick right up against the side of the unit -- blocking 90% of that long open slot along the bottom. I understand that slot to be combustion air intake, and it must be open. He believes that the several square inches remaining open is sufficient, since the blower is the main thing providing air. (I think the blower is only for recirculating room air and never meets log.) Work has halted until this gets resolved.

How much clearance should there be above, behind, and to the side of the firebox? Only brick surrounds it.

Next issue. The part of the unit that fits into the cavity is 32" wide. The brick walls we installed start out at 42" and narrow to about 35" wide. I live in fear that we built the walls too narrow. Could we raise the unit up about 1" on four legs, to help air flow to the intake slots along the bottom of the sides? What would you use?

Thanks.

Our installer used regular firebrick to level our I3100 insert at the back as our hearth was higher in the front than at the back

From the description it sounds like the mason is installing the firebox with a bit of an ashpit that is about 1" lower than the hearth. Is that correct? That is not uncommon. As long as there is enough vertical height (and there should be if this is new), then just use some 1" pavers of firebrick to raise the stove up. Then put a sheet of metal on top of them to make it a lot easier to slide the insert into the fireplace.

I don't understand the last question at all. The minimum fireplace opening for the I2400 is Width (front) 25", Height 21.5", Depth 17". With a 42" wide front, this insert is going to be swimming in there. The unit is only 23" wide, not 32" wide. It sounds like it is going to need an oversized face plate to cover that huge opening. But maybe I am misunderstanding the dimensions. Is 42" the total width of the fireplace or the width of the opening that the insert goes into?

Is this a repair or a totally new fireplace? I'm curious why a custom fireplace is being built for an insert? Why not freestanding or a good ZC fireplace? What is being done about the damper and what size flue is going in?

chipster96 said:
...the mason has laid brick right up against the side of the unit -- blocking 90% of that long open slot along the bottom. I understand that slot to be combustion air intake, and it must be open. He believes that the several square inches remaining open is sufficient, since the blower is the main thing providing air. (I think the blower is only for recirculating room air and never meets log.) Work has halted until this gets resolved.

How much clearance should there be above, behind, and to the side of the firebox? Only brick surrounds it.

Next issue. The part of the unit that fits into the cavity is 32" wide. The brick walls we installed start out at 42" and narrow to about 35" wide. I live in fear that we built the walls too narrow.

I think you're right about keeping that air slot open, but is it really totally blocked off? You don't need much space to the brick, just enough for air to move & get in. Brick totally blocking-up 90% of it doesn't sound good. If theres a gap of say 1" to the brick I wouldn't worry at all. Blower air is totally seperate from combustion air & yes, just to heat & re-circ room air. Blower air intake is below firebox, behind blower. Combustion air-path is through the long grated slots on either side of the door, then down through the intakes on the side, so that's the path that needs to stay fairly open.

Clearance around, above & behind the box not really needed. If it fits & there is any air-gap at all, no problem. even if the corners touch the brick I don't see a problem.
Don't have my manual handy, but if it says you need 32" wide opening & you have min 35", then you're fine. I know my FP is nowhere near 42" wide at the front & it narrows significantly to the back. As BG states you will need the larger surround to cover that opening.

BeGreen said:
sounds like the mason is installing the firebox with a bit of an ashpit that is about 1"

No, the surface is perfectly flat.

just use some 1" pavers of firebrick to raise the stove up.

Maybe I wasn't clear. The unit sits flat, no space below. The slots being blocked run perpendicular to the plane of the door. They are on the sides of the firebox (down low), running to the back.

Is this a repair or a totally new fireplace? I'm curious why a custom fireplace is being built for an insert? Why not freestanding or a good ZC fireplace? What is being done about the damper and what size flue is going in?

I like fireplaces and got a good deal on the I2400. So it is all new, in a house that never had a fireplace. I didn't know what what the hell a zero clearance fireplace was, and the dealer did not enlighten. Double wall 6" pipe, per specs, to run up brick chimney.

Next problem:

The way the mason began installing the I2400 insert, it is not removable. That is not per manual. Grr.

He seems receptive, but I have to have irrefutable reasons for insisting that he tear out already-laid brick.

The manual says removability is for cleaning. So I assume it is verboten for cleaning chemicals and crud to go dribbling down into all the twisting compartments of the insert.

To clean, we have to pull it out and put a bucket underneath? Correct?

And I greatly appreciate the assistance.

Attachments

• chipster install.jpg
    chipster install.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 388
Only reason I'd pull mine is if there was a problem with the liner connection or insert needed replacement. YOu can clean the chimney by just removing the baffle (2 fiber boards that sit on top of the burn tubes) and sweeping everything down from top of chimney into your closed insert, then scoop out from there. No chemicals or cleaners needed.
I don't understand how the heck he's bricking it so it's not removable.
Take some pics & post'em here. Things sound strange. Some of us need visuals to understand anything :)

Oy, it appears you have a much misguided mason and woodstove salesperson. This is pretty half-baked. I don't suppose the stove company would make it up and exchange the insert for a freestanding stove now?

The insert is not designed to be nor intended to be captive. What if you don't like it and want to change? Please tell me that the bricks are not sitting right on the stove. Hope not, you can be certain the stove wasn't designed to be structural.

Status
Not open for further replies.