Clearance issues?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kool_hand_Looke

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2013
Illinois
So, I have a DW 2462. Went and dropped $2000 on on a Quad Isle Royal. The other $1000 in a month.

Here's the deal, the clearances are completely different on the running dimensions. I thought...it'd slide right in. Now Idk if it'll fit on my hearth.

The DW is about 4" from the front edge of my existing hearth, which is stone and elevated off the floor. Now looking at the dimensions Idk where to pull my running dimension from to the flue/pipe.

The DW 2462 has the section views labeled A B C D etc. The other is the Quadrafire. There's about 4 inches from the front of my DW now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-18-20-02-31.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-18-20-02-31.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_2014-01-18-20-03-26.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-18-20-03-26.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 66
Can you post a picture of your current setup and provide dimensions?

I got drug to the damn neighbors house. I'll be home in a bit.

My big question is where the demensions are drawn from the back of the stove to the front PLUS the flue. The flue is what is dictates exactly how far the new stove will stick out. The DW is 18-1/4" from the back of the stove to the front. The Quad is 22-3/4 from the front to the back of the flue...but it looks like the Quad is 16-3/4" from the front of the stove to the back of the fire box. It all breaks down to the flue.

22-3/4 from front to the back of the flue for the Quad.

18-1/4 from the front to the back of the firebox on the DW, WITHOUT the flue included. Refer to running dimension images.

There's about 4" from the front of the DW to the edge of my hearth. It boils down the the flue. I think.

Attachments

• IMAG0300.jpg
    IMAG0300.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMAG0299.jpg
    IMAG0299.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 90
The current hearth doesn't look kosher for the DW either. There is supposed to be 16" of hearth in front of the stove. That should be addressed. As for the flue, it rear clearances are met, could the IR be moved back and an offset to the connector introduced?

There's like 5 feet between the front of the hearth and the couch the next closest object to the stove. The hearth is elevated off the floor. All of which is stone. Stone hearth and stone tiling for the flooring. I don't see what another 16" would be required for. Except a sizzled elbow.

I guess an offset could be introduced. But Idk if something like that is made. Might look a little goofy.

What I don't get...is the lack of dimensions in the manuals. It comes down to the flue...and the single wall pipe.

what is the stone on the floor over?

Could you create a simple diagram of your concerns with dimensions. I'm not seeing the issue for some reason. Could be me, the evening and wine, but I'm not seeing an issue yet.

Some concrete-ish stuff apparently. We didn't build it. The concrete-ish stuff was to level the floor for the stone tile.

Look at the pics in the original post. My concern is my pipe location to the front of the stove...to the front of my hearth. That the IR may be too deep for where my pipe is compared to the DW. That the IR simply won't fit. Make sense?

Wine + fire = many possibilities

If it's an issue can you move the IR back on the hearth and offset the flue pipe?

I guess I can. But honestly, I think it's gonna fit.

If it's an issue can you move the IR back on the hearth and offset the flue pipe?
I did some triple checking. Got a straight edge on the flue of the DW and measured out the depth. I think it'll fit. Calling the tech tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.