Clearance to non-combustibles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avengerrt

Dec 30, 2014
Michigan
So I am new to this scene and am trying to install a Summer's Heat 50-SHW35 add-on furnace. I am installing in basement near my furnace. Floor is concrete and walls are preformed poured walls. My problem is that where I have to install the add-on, it is very close (6" or less) to my hot water heater. If this is considered a non-combustible, do I need to be concerned with the clearance between the two? I can't seem to find the right answer to this issue anywhere I look. The reason I have to install there is because of where the chimney exits the basement. Not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Most are insulated with fiberglass which isn't going to ignite. If it is urethane (unlikely) it could potentially burn.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Another issue may be the black pipe going to the hot water heater. It runs on propane. Not sure about any codes referring to how close that can be. Again it is technically a non-combustible.

So the insurance guy is telling me that the stove needs to be 5' feet away from a gas fed appliance??? Are you freaking kidding me?? That is so not realistic. It is an add on furnace that is meant to sit next to a forced air furnace. Anyone ever hear of such a requirement ?? Think it may be time for a new insurance company.

Status
Not open for further replies.