clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greenergrass

Sep 28, 2006
My stove is only 10 inches away from the carpet in the front, but more than 30 inches on the sides. It is my understanding that clearence is only needed in case of flying sparks when opening the door. My stove loads from the front or the side. So as long as I load from the side I should be fine. Does this sound correct?

It sounds correct, logically, to us but it won't be correct if something ever happened and the insurance adjuster sees it.
"I only ever loaded from the side." Probably wouldn't hold water.
Plus, someday someone other than you could be loading that stove and be unaware of the danger.

No, it's not ok. The stove also radiates a lot of heat, especially from the front glass. Add a hearth extension and be safe. When it's zero outside and the stove is burning for all its worth, the last thing you want keeping you up at night is that odd, singed carpet smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.