clearances and liner ??s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevebass4

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Franklin MA
so i've been using my insert since last oct and i did not have the proper clearances (Elk pointed this out when i posted some pics) and the wood floor would get HOT in front of the quidrafire if I ran it all day

so i picked up a hearth extension pad - and i now have the proper clearance for the frt of the stove however i am still two inches shy on an exterior wall next to the fireplace – what are the best ways to overcome this

also why do I need a liner – the stove guy who installed my insert said he used a 5 foot section of pipe up my flue and I have not have any draft problems – so I can’t see how / why I would need a liner

Thanks

you may not be able to fix the side clearance's issues what quad do you have? the side clearnces may be reduced if the the manufacturer allows it also by nfpa 211 but you usually can not bring the clearance's down below 12 inches check the manual for your stove typically you can use metal and a one inch air gap to bring the clearance's down. nfpa 211 requires the chimney to be lined if it is larger then twice the cross sectional area of the appliances outlet on an out side chimney and three times larger on an inside chimney insulation is is need if the chimney does not currently meet nfpa 211 standards. not many chimneys meet the standard so most likely the liner will need to be warped.

Thanks stoveguy - it's a quad 2100i

I dont think i have an old manual to it but if my memory is correct i think the clearance was 10 inches from the side does it say anything about cutting it down? how long have you had it for they stoped making that unit around 2003

Good memory stoveguy. The manual is still up on Quad's website. It lists side clearance to combustibles as 10", 12" in Canada. I didn't find anything about reducing clearances.

Steve, the pictures in the old posting don't show the side issue you are concerned about. Can you post a full shot, maybe with a tape measure in it so that it's more apparent? What is to the side, wood paneling, a wall?

the measurement is taken from the body of the stove it is hard see how you would not have the right clearence where are you measuring from ?

they put the chimney in a strange place in this house & i was given the insert used but it’s been installed since last oct in my home

it looks like from the corner of the insert to the wall i have 20 inches BUT the manual says i need 26 inches – the hearth pad is in the basement so I do have the proper clearance for that however I am still concerned about the wall

Thanks again for your insight

Attachments

• wood pile 014 (Small).jpg
    wood pile 014 (Small).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 259
  • wood pile 015 (Small).jpg
    wood pile 015 (Small).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 246
  • wood pile 016 (Small).jpg
    wood pile 016 (Small).jpg
    35 KB · Views: 258
the hearth needs to be extended but the sid wall clearence should be fine from your pics the measurement is taken from the firebox not the top.

and the manual

Attachments

• wood pile (Small).jpg
    wood pile (Small).jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 249
stoveguy13 said:
the hearth needs to be extended but the sid wall clearence should be fine from your pics the measurement is taken from the firebox not the top.

Thanks - i do have a hearth extension that covers the frt so i should be ok there however the manual says 26 inches to the wall

it is hard to tell exact from the pic but your tape placement is not in the right place. it is from the edge of the body.

stoveguy13 said:
it is hard to tell exact from the pic but your tape placement is not in the right place. it is from the edge of the body.

your right - and thanks again - from the firebox to the wall i have 28 inches so i should be ok

anytime store is always open we only close 4 days a year and this is not one of them.

Glad that you are at least trying with the removeable hearth pad, but I'm not sure it's a valid solution - My understanding is that the codes require a permanently installed non-combustible hearth surface, or if using a pad, that it be one single peice with no gaps or cracks. I know that "hearth rugs", no matter what they are made of, do NOT meet code requirements.

I know that I'd be concerned about heat or embers penetrating between the edge of the concrete hearth and the pad, not to mention the fear that some future owner might burn without the pad...

Maybe Elk could comment?

If it were me, I'd consider cutting into the floor, removing the combustible floorboards in a wide enough space, and building the floor back up to the same height with micore or durock and tile.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.