Clinker build up.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbosporsche

Dec 31, 2012
Shelton,ct
So I've been running my 61-a for about a month now burning hamers . Being in ct the nights are cold but during the day it warms up . I had my stove on auto mode but was worried about premature burn out. So for about the last week I've had the stove in manual mode which when the stove reaches room temp mode switches to maintance mode.

I began to hear the auger as it would turn sound like it was under a much harder load. I decided to clean the stove and noticed large amount of build up in the burn pot. At the mouth of the auger.

I typically would scrap every few days.

Is the build up normal or bad pellets or am I just not burning the stove hot enough to burn off the soot

Any Pictures?

That is carbon buildup, not a clinker. It is normal and builds up more with certain pellets.

Ok thanks seems like the hard wood pellets need more combustion air. Is there any way to increase that . My whitfield has a trim to increase by 20%

Is this "carbon buildup" in this video I took of my ashvac in action? This chunk always forms, and in this video thats the size chunk I get after burning 2/3
s of a bag. I cannot figure out if a dampener setting is what makes it worse some times more than others.

I feel like even on low its feeding faster than it can handle... I cannot figure this thing out. Im getting quite a fog on my glass to with every bag... after 2 bags if I dont clean the glass it starts to turn black.

Is the exhaust clean? also check the inlet air flapper on the left rear of the stove. If all that is fine buy a couple of bags of different pellets and see if results change. Are hamers softwood? Also using a small mirror look into burnpot and clean the rows of air hole. I have seen the holes in the lower part of the pot that you cant see have been carboned over causing air starvation issues. I use a allen wrench to poke hole out.

exhaust is clean. using an oak that's clean and all the holes in the burn pot are now clean and open. I'm guessing that it has to do with running the stove in maintain mode. Is there a way to put the stove into high altitude mode. If I lived in Colorado the air is much thinner so you would need more. How does Harman handle this.

exhaust is clean. using an oak that's clean and all the holes in the burn pot are now clean and open. I'm guessing that it has to do with running the stove in maintain mode. Is there a way to put the stove into high altitude mode. If I lived in Colorado the air is much thinner so you would need more. How does Harman handle this.
There is a trim pot to vary the exhaust fan. Check your manual. Not much of a change IMO. Maybe get a different exhaust fan plate? I have a different plates for our pc45.

The lower burn rates burn dirtier. I recall I had to clean my xxv more frequently in the milder months, than the dead of winter.

Ok thanks. I checked the low burn trim adjustment and it's turned up all the way. Wonder if I have a leak somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.