closing off the top of the chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 5, 2011
NH
Hey guys, the top of my chimney is open. Chimney is brick. its about 11''x40'' ID. obviously I need to put something on top of it before I install the liner and top plate conection.

I was thinking I could use a piece of 1/2'' hardy backer cement board and a piece of steel roofing over it. Whata you guys think ??

I also have a piece of nice metal roof flashing that would work.

Last edited:
Is it a chase type or full masonry?

No cap over the entire 11x40? I don't think cement board laid flat would hold up. Can you make up or have made up, a full metal cap with a cross brace or two to carry the weight?

I guess it could work as a temp solution, you'll also need prob some thin pieces if steel to support the cement board since its pretty brittle, and the weight of the liner will be pulling down on it, the real fix is to finish the rest of the chimney with a poured crown, but please let the more experienced members here help you, I'm know little to none about masonry stuff.

Can you post a picture of the chimney top?

Can you post a picture of the chimney top?

no pics sorry, it looks just like this but open, with no individual flues or anything.

Attachments

• closing off the top of the chimney
    chimneycap2-waldorf-md-magic-broom.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 75