Cloudy glass on Buck 81

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smmm

Aug 1, 2010
Ohio
My glass is only getting cloudy on the left side (about two inches in and on the left corner window). This is if you are looking at the stove. Is there a reason why only those two small spots are getting cloudy and not the rest of the window? I tried doing the dollar bill test but did not find any signs of leaks. Could it be that my air intake is on the left side and keeps that area of the stove cooler than the rest?

Cloudy glass happens over time with efficient burns, especially when you are burning 24/7. It shouldn't be anything to worry about. Just let the stove cool down and clean with a wet newspaper and ash.

I have a Buck 81 insert. The far left side of the glass keeps a slightly cloudy haze. Rest of glass stays very clear. Since we both get this appearance at the same area, it could have something to do with the way the air wash functions on these stoves.

I have a Buck 91 cat stove and it gets it in the lower right corner. I guess if they make a Buck 101 it will move to the middle. ;-)

Thanks. Doesn't bother me if it is normal. It just bothers me if I'm doing something wrong...

Is the glass itself gettting cloudy or is it just a film of ashes? Probably just a film that washes off. Very normal.

In my former home I had a problem with the stove running away and overheating. It melted the metal diffuser for the air wash and permanently etched the glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.