1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

CO detector question.

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Rowdysdad, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Rowdysdad

Rowdysdad New Member

Loc:
    The beautiful Ozarks. SW Missouri
    I have a question for anyone out there using a CO monitor/detector. What are your recommendations for the brand to get?

Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. imacman

imacman Guest

Bob Sorjanen likes this.
  3. slvrblkk

slvrblkk Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    Yup...I have one where the stove is and one upstairs outside of all the bedrooms. Both are the Kidde brand.
  4. moey

moey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I don't have any model or brand recommendations, but I would suggest you get at least two and not of the same brand.
  5. iron stove

iron stove Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central CT
    Ive always liked the models with a Digital readout, and battery backup. They usually have a 5-10 year life. Keep it across the room from the stove. The fly ash and pellet dust can have negative effects on the detector.

And yes, always near a bedroom. That is where you spend majority of time in your house. And most CO calls im aware of seem to happen at night.
  6. Markus38

Markus38 New Member

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley MA
    They now make one that also detects gas. I put this one next to my 4 ton hopper for bulk pellet storage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

SKU#GCO1CN
    √ 3-in-1 protection from deadly gasses

√ Plug-in with battery backup

√ Digital display

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    GCO1CN

Plug-in Combination Explosive Gas & Carbon Monoxide Alarm

This 3-in-1 gas alarm warns against natural/methane, propane and carbon monoxide. The digital display makes for easy reading during an alarm or when, any button is pressed. The alarm plugs into any standard outlet with no additional mounting necessary and comes with a line cord, which offers multiple placement options. The alarm also comes with a battery backup in the case of a power outage and utilizes an electrochemical carbon monoxide sensor for increased accuracy. Meets UL standards.
  7. Rowdysdad

Rowdysdad New Member

Loc:
    The beautiful Ozarks. SW Missouri
    Thanks, I appreciate all of the replys.
  8. Harvey Schneider

Harvey Schneider Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    There are many good brands out there. Whatever brand you choose, make sure that the detector is Electrochemical (most of the newer designs are). Electrochemical detectors give the best balance of long life, sensitivity, and low power consumption.
    I have three made by Kidde. They sit there and indicate zero all the time, but I have to assume that they are working. These units automatically indicate end of life (five years) for the detector. Battery life is three AA batteries per year. Amazon was running a 20% off sale recently.
  9. MarkF48

MarkF48 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central MA
    I originally had my CO detector near the stove about 2 feet from the exhaust piping thinking that it would be optimal for early detection of a problem. The inspector for the permit had me move it to a location across the room. No explanation given.