Q&A Coal Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Recently I purchased a house built in 1906. I t contains 3 fireplaces all of which have a hanging type basket. I was told that these are meant for coal. Can I burn wood in these, if so how (remove basket)? Also they seem shallow in depth to sustain multiple logs. If I need to use coal, what type and how. The fireplaces have no dampeners, There are large stamped tin covers to close the openings. Where these meant to radiate the heat? Thanks in advance for your expertise and services.

Answer:

ery few people in North American burn coal in an open fireplaces. This practice is more commonplace in Europe, where special manufactured coal briquettes are often used. If you are going to try coal, see if you can obtain "channel coal" or other softer brown (woody) coals. Year ago, Agway (Farm Stores) carried the stuff. It will be difficult, if not impossible, to burn anthracite (hard coal) in an open grate.

You could probably use wood or perhaps even manufactured firelogs in such a grate. Since I cannot see the exact design of your fireplace, I cannot determine if it is safe to remove or replace the grate. A local certified chimney professional could probably give you some good ideas.

It might even be possible to place a small wood stove or fireplace insert in front of the fireplace and vent it up the chimney.

The covers for the damper are are meant to be used after the fire is out to prevent heat loss from the home up the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.