COAL INSERT CANNOT GET GOOD BURN

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KRIPPER

Oct 9, 2008
westchester co ny
HI ALL, Bought a Baker coal insert last year,at that time had fireplace rebricked and heatalator removed.Did the install myself,clay chimney liner was good but I in stalled 7" stainless pipe toappx. 3 fet above chimney(chimney is at peak of roof) clay liner was rectangle and stainless pipe was round so i used fiberglass insulation around pipe then a piece of flat stainless cut 7" hole in it and slid it over the 7" stainless to stop rainwater from dripping down the side of pipe and wetting the fiberglass insulation,I alsoput fiberglass insulation aroundinsert as last year I had a hard time keeping the fire going for extended periods of time which i attributed to inadquate draft also last year a good portion of coal remained unburned.I can get it to all burn but the draft must be opened so far yhat the fire really blazes and I get more heat than I can use and the fire won't last the night.I checked the chimney and insert for obstructions(drop light down chim.pulled insert and visually looked in top for blockage all ok).The inital light how much coal ,a mound in center ,an even layer across the grates how deep? All those that are kind enough to answer please pretend I just fell out of the sky from Mars and I know absoultely nothing about fireplaces,inserts and such as I might be missing something very basic thatyou all take for granted that I know. Oh by the way I checked the draft by holding a lit match close to the draft control an d it pulls the flame towards the draft is there another way to check the draft.I am mechanically inclined I have serviced my oil burner myself the last 10 years as I am a retired auto/heavy equiptment mechanic.I see other coal inserts they all burn nice all coals lit burning nice not blazing like a 4 alarm fireslow hot burn thats what I want ...please help,,,thanks again ....cold in New York....ken tyler

0)

Status
Not open for further replies.